Ghosts of The Past

Look at you now!
You crawl, you fall,
You walk, you stumble..
As if I can’t see all that your eyes are telling me,
So sore, they beg to be forgiven,
Yet why do you cry dry tears I can’t see?

We’ve been down that road together,
Bruised and damned.
Prayers we told with tears in our eyes,
Scars I know you’ve wore this long,
Curses they set us a blaze,
Still the cries of our hearts remain unknown.

The shadows of yesterday,
They haunt you to this very day,
But don’t you see every nerve in my body dances to your words?
The thoughts I have,
The dreams I dream,
You won’t ever know!

If with every step I could hold your hand,
I’d never let you down,
If I could open your eyes,
I’d make you see what I see,
If life is not the fight you imagined it would be,
You would breathe in what I breathe in,
Instead of suffocating under the dim light,
Instead of bottling up your rage,
You’d believe there’s more to life than the life you’ve lived.
Think of me as a mirror to your tomorrows,
Live a little more so I will have a story to tell,
Of the ghosts of our past,
That tore down the walls between tragedy and sanity.
Laugh a little louder so I can celebrate,
The victory we’ve long held,
Cry never again so I can don’t have to die in shame,
Pray a little harder so won’t have to drown again,
Feel a little brighter so I can return the colours we lost in finding you.

sneha.s.nair said...
Aug. 11 at 3:26 am
superb diction

MissRucaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 1 at 12:14 pm
Amazing, amazing work.

moderndayEmilyDickinsonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 20 at 8:54 am
I've been through this. My ghosts of the past used to haunt me; they're not anymore. This is really great. Thank you, for sharing this.

DezaraeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 20 at 11:46 pm
This was a really amazing poem. great job

bewareofbunnyrabbitsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 5 at 12:55 pm
Wow, that's really good!

JessiBear777This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 28 at 4:09 pm
Beautifully written! It flows so nicely, and it is very heartfelt and inspirational...

albaschirinzi said...
Apr. 22 at 8:31 am
This is amazing! I really enjoyed it and hope you'll continue the good work

DemoderbyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 10 at 10:26 am
I really enjoyed your work and hope to read more from you. I looked at your information and I saw that you were alot like me. Please check out my work. Old and new, I want to hear what you have to say. Please comment what you think and rate my work. I dont get enough viewers and rarely get comments. I really want to know what you all think of my work! Please and thank you

Paulina I. said...
Apr. 6 at 7:21 pm
Wonderful and original. My sister AlexandraL would love this poem. I'll tell her.

AlexandraL replied...
Apr. 6 at 7:45 pm
You're right little sis. This is amazing!

BlackFTW said...
Apr. 2 at 2:10 pm
Flowed nicely and original, a lot of poems here are shallow and focus on worldly things. 

Penman101 said...
It was so powerful and raw, it fills the reader with emotion and leaves them with a different outlook on life.

Alaskan-shadow replied...
May 24 at 8:24 am
I agree, I would like to see some chords put behind this. There could be an amazing rhythmic, powerful song here.

Zarek said...
like it 

TheSkyOwesMeRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great work! 

AmandaClairThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:01 am
Absolutely. Amazing. Very detailed and... well, amazing. Let's leave it at that.

nainamishra99 said...
Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:48 am
love it. the desciption was amazing

Poetry2Love said...
Sept. 4, 2013 at 12:17 am
I like it. It's well written.

Archa-awesomeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
kind of scary, but amazing at the same time...

KristySparklezThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I have no words to speak at how moving this was for me. Keep it up!