The Journey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

They say it’s all about the journey, I used to disagree.
Because I loved the destination but now I start to see
That when I finally get there, I think about the time
When we outsang the radio and thought we sounded fine.
The many fights that made Dad say, “I’ll turn this thing around!”
And how easy we’d make him laugh to calm him right back down.
The countless times we took a stop to stretch our legs were great,
Because space can get pretty tight when the car is packed with eight.
We all took turns to close our eyes and have a little nap
Or listen to whoever drives get lost and blame the map.
Oh how I love it in the car when we’re all having fun
So how I hate when we arrive and all of that is done.
Next to the pool, with earphones in, those times I can’t recall
But memories of getting there always do stand tall.
So Destination, here we are, but not as a family.
And as for me, I now agree, it’s all in the journey.

coletteF said...
I like this poem's rhyming pattern a lot! You've created a scene, which is hard to do with words. Great job!

WindRunnerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 19 at 1:42 pm
I agree, and dissagree. The rythem of the poem is amazing, but I dont think it is hard tho make a picture with words.

Emilee K. said...
Mar. 19, 2012 at 8:20 am
This is so true! Especially the radio part and being packed i can relate! Great job!

MiniMags1442 said...
Wow, great poem. Breathe taking.

Bookworm1997 said...
Completely true! It was so creative how you compared the journey of life with a humorous car trip.

Dreamer13 said...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:40 am
could you check out some of my work? id love to get some constructive feedback!

Dreamer13 replied...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:43 am
and by the way, i absolutely love your poem! this past summer my family took a road trip from colorado to new york... that sure was a journey! thanks for writing that, i can now totally relate

ms.practicallyintellectual said...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 5:45 am
a beautiful poem... i so agree with you... during the journey of life, you come across so many new things... you grow as a family & you grow as a person... it makes the final fruit sweeter & more valueable...

AlexisNicole822 said...
Wow. I almost wanted to cry. My family is only four, my parents, me and my little sister. We usually have quiet or argumentive car conversations, but the whole fact that it's life and a journey. That really got me. This was amazing.

D.Kirkland said...
i thought all that is true. i happend to me but there was 6 of us and i was the only girl and i had to listen to the driver sing while all the guys watched movies in the back seats. it was fun and how i miss it. but i cant wait to do it again next november.

dickbutkiss said...
Jan. 13, 2012 at 10:49 am
dickbutkiss

Morning said...
This is really nice. My family takes long car trips every summer and brought those memories foward. Good Job!

OneofThemThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Not gonna lie, rhyming poems don't really do it for me. It came off as a tad forced. However, it's completely relatable and I did enjoy it. Easy to picture, if you know what I mean.

GirlWhoWrote said...
Dec. 22, 2011 at 9:34 am
Wow, this is good! I like how realistic it is, and how I can see things clearly in my head. And.... check out my work, please!!!

. said...
Dec. 22, 2011 at 12:37 am
It was really good!  Your rythm could have been slightly better, but the overall message was amazingly delivered:D

ThroughTheseEyes said...
This is really good!!! It brought me back to all the times I travled with my family! :) Love It!

SpringMoon98 said...
That was really awesome! I totally agree with the message.

ElleNicole said...
Nice job. Check out my stuff? Thanks!

raindance72 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Nostalgia anyone? BEAUTIOUS! (that's my special word, I rarely use it) Usually I've got a whole mouthful of constructive criticism but this poem was just great. Blew me away, really.

Also, I'd love if I could have some people check out my work and comment; I would love some critiques on my own work. Thank you! :)

And to the author....hope you don't plan on quittin' writing any time soon, because you really do have talent.

jae6811 said...
Nov. 30, 2011 at 6:49 am
that was beautiful good job

Big k said...
Nov. 29, 2011 at 10:11 am
I quite liked that poem. It reminds me of my younger years