The Journey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

They say it’s all about the journey, I used to disagree.
Because I loved the destination but now I start to see
That when I finally get there, I think about the time
When we outsang the radio and thought we sounded fine.
The many fights that made Dad say, “I’ll turn this thing around!”
And how easy we’d make him laugh to calm him right back down.
The countless times we took a stop to stretch our legs were great,
Because space can get pretty tight when the car is packed with eight.
We all took turns to close our eyes and have a little nap
Or listen to whoever drives get lost and blame the map.
Oh how I love it in the car when we’re all having fun
So how I hate when we arrive and all of that is done.
Next to the pool, with earphones in, those times I can’t recall
But memories of getting there always do stand tall.
So Destination, here we are, but not as a family.
And as for me, I now agree, it’s all in the journey.

Bella13 said...
today at 9:05 pm:
It is so vivid and happy it makes me want to take a road trip!!

MeagannLovee said...
Jun. 17 at 2:01 am:
This poem is amazing. Your ability to capture the beauty in everything is absolutely fascinating. Love it.

bubbles6This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 18 at 12:57 pm:
I really like this poem. It has a good consistant meter, and you did good rhyming. Keep writting!

ElevenSecrets said...
Jul. 8, 2013 at 5:19 am:
This was beautiful, I read it at least three times. I'm completely in love with it. Very well done. 

ruthie_98 said...
May 17, 2013 at 2:37 pm:
this is beautiful, really relatable xx

Krista V. said...
Wow, that was awesome! Totally takes me back to all of our roadtrips... Love the rhyme and the way it reads. 

ChobaniLuvinPenguinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is a beautiful, relatable poem! I love it! It simply speaks to me and flows well, with the help of the rhyme and rhythm. I also like the extended metaphor in the poem! Amazing job!!!!

photobraun said...
i know how that feels. going from indiana to oregon is a very long drive of agony!

sadesddThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow. I totally agree! It is all about getting there. I always dread getting out of the car. This poem made me smile. Great job!

ZeesrockThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I can relate to this a lot and it brings back a lot of memories!

DemonAngel said...
I really like this poem.It brings back memories of times when i still agreed to travel with my family of 8.Its so spot on with everything we did.God this just goes to show that its the simplist of times that can bring you back to being a "kid" (like 12)

Mimi15 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was so wonderful. You're a fantastic writer. If you don't mind, I'd love to hear your opinion of my poem Broken Structure. Cheers. :)

sbets said...
Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:00 am:

Amazing! I love this!

Please read, rate, and comment on my poems!

. replied...
Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:51 pm :
^That's me. Mind checking out my work?:)

InkWriter13 said...
Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:49 pm:
I love this poem! So true, so relatable. Rhyming was a great choice for this because it kept up a light tone that paralleled well with the joy of car trips and journeys. A wonderful idea. I completely agree. Beautiful writing. Would you please read and comment on my poem titled In the Library? I woud really appreciate it! Thx :D

IndiloveThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 24, 2012 at 7:25 am:
I have a family of eight and i completly agree!!!! We're always getting lost and blaring the radio. I love this poem!!! Great work!

AlannaWriting said...
Apr. 16, 2012 at 7:48 am:
I really love this poem, I really love poems about taking your time with things. This poem was very relatable to me and I really loved it.

MissShah said...
Mar. 25, 2012 at 12:13 am:
woow! i love it.. seems that you have got a mental approach like me for me too have experienced such a thing! :]

coletteF said...
Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:25 pm:
I like this poem's rhyming pattern a lot! You've created a scene, which is hard to do with words. Great job!

Emilee K. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 19, 2012 at 8:20 am:
This is so true! Especially the radio part and being packed i can relate! Great job!