Her life in Ruins | Teen Ink

Her life in Ruins

By northemily BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia
northemily BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia

The wonderful love of a beautiful maid,
The love of a staunch true man,
The love of a baby, unafraid,
Have existed since time began.

But the greatest of loves, The quintessence of loves.
even greater than that of a mother,
Is the tender, passionate, infinite love,
of one drunken Marine for another.

"Semper Fidelis"

She was especially quiet on this day. She felt nothing but pain and loneliness. She received a phone call around seven in the morning, it was her mother. Emily answered with anger at first then no words fell from her lips she stood right up out of bed walked into the silent hallway and fell to her knees. The breath from her lungs was heavy and uneven spilling rapidly with harsh vocal strains. As the tears streamed down continuously she just said “no”. It seemed as if her world had come to a screeching halt and there was nothing a single living person could do about it. Her grandfather died that first day of March in 2009. She lived her life through his spirit from then on. She did everything in memory of him. She often reminisced on his laughter, wit, and wisdom. She still shares his ways with the people around her. Emily writes most of her papers on her grandfather. When she met her boyfriend she thought surly her grandfather would have loved him as much as she does, maybe that’s why she liked him so much to begin with. Emily refers to her granddaddy as Gaggy although it is not a proper name and not even a word she says it and writes it like everyone who reads and hears instantly knows who and what that word means. Emily says Gaggy as if he were still alive, she writes as if he is still alive, she lives as if she is still alive. Emily keeps Gaggy’s love alive through words she shares with the world, that’s why she was silent, she needed time to figure out how to keep love alive.