The Moose This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Evening light, the sun goes down,
Trees and colors fade to dark.
A single moose moves through the wood,
Slow, unhurried, plodding on.

Metal beasts hold to their course,
Speeding swiftly through the night.
A highway winds through fields and trees,
Fractured roads of dirty stone.
Nature's beast walks ceaselessly,
Unaware of human thoughts.
Traffic through the trees ahead,
Forceful still, the moose will cross.

Faster fly the metal brutes.
Fiendishly, they thunder by.
One of them holds Death inside,
Careless minds, a price to pay.

Finally the moose arrives,
Never stops nor hesitates.
Steps out onto dirty stone.
Almost crossed, but still too late.

Over the rise an engine roars.
Moose in the headlights! Frantic eyes.
A cry of death, then metal shears.
The crumpled wreck is hurled aside.

Gently falls the mighty beast.
Collapses, broken, on the road.
Slaughtered here by needless haste,
The moose is silent to the end.

More lights now, the sirens wail,
Useless helpers for a cause.
Bodies carefully moved away,
Mourning faces filled with loss.

Evening light, the sun is down,
Trees and colors lost in dark.
A light glows in the sky above,
Tiny, melting, fading; gone.

Deej6595This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 11:49 pm:
I like the idea of the moose stepping into our world out of the wild. The prose is very nice with the flow and the rhyme.

Maggie99This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 12 at 7:17 pm:
Wow. that was extremely emotional. i'm an animal lover so you really took a stab at my heart.

BrandybuckTookThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 12 at 1:48 pm:
I've never really thought about the courage of a moose trapped within human society until now. It really opened my eyes a little wider. Great job!

Serena_the_Squid said...
Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:00 am:
I really liked this whole poem. I especially loved the last line: "Tiny, melting, fading, gone." Nice one!

NickBottom said...
This poem definitely showed the destruction that haste and a lack of care can bring. I really liked the line "The siren's wail, useless helpers for a cause." Keep up the good work!

ChobaniLuvinPenguinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this poem!!!! It conveys an important message about the destruction humanity and machinery can cause, and flows beautifully. You also use a vast range of vocabulary, and your descriptions are amazing! Such a good poem!!!!!!

The_Bleeding_Muse said...
Mar. 13, 2012 at 7:16 pm:

I do believe i like this. it's got a good flow

Wonderment said...
Paints a good picture. I loved this and I loved the message in it. I could see it all happening.

Wonderment said...
Wow! You paint the picture of this moose so well. I acually could picture the moose walking then getting killed. Plus I think it has a good message. I like. so so much.

705toofdaPThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 22, 2012 at 2:38 am :
I agree with Wonder ;) This really was a beauitful poem that sends a good message, and the use of imagery and picture was amazing, Keep it up!

Prometheus This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 22, 2012 at 11:51 am :
Thanks for reading!