Paper Cranes

This is the truth I tell you:
One thousand paper cranes equal
one wish
Carried up on parchment wings
not melting before rain, nor
incinerating at a lightning thrust.

one equals one thousand or
one thousand equals one. In the end
it’s all the same

(Aren’t we all, in the
surreal blackness of Death?)

Honesty --
(What is that but
make-believe for children?)
is not what we call truth,
nor is truth honesty.
Put it any way you like,
but they are twins only in your mind.

Paper cranes
are not honest,
or truthful either.
They are nothing
but embodiment of
one wish
borne on a thousand impervious wings

Winged.Living.Free.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 3:33 pm:
Very nice! It sparked a memory, my japanese teacher told me that one thousand cranes is like some kind of gift. Good job! :)(:

readaholicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 5:29 pm:
Cool poem-it touches on so many truths (and finally talks about truth itself) it's just one of those mystic poems...I loves it :)

GreenSerenity said...
First of all, I think the title Paper Cranes is great: mysterious, original, and it grabs people's attention. I think maybe you could make the poem a bit less confusing, but I did really like it--especially the last few lines. Great job :)

Love.Hate.Passion. said...
I think your poem flows quite nicely and your last lines were nice. I find it refreshing that someone would turn the topic of paper cranes into a completely different thing. Good job. ****

AnimaCordis said...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 5:36 am:
I didn't know that paper cranes could hold so much meaning!

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
Nov. 21, 2011 at 8:01 am:
You have good wording, and it's a nice topic, I'm just not into paper cranes.

Emiri said...
Nov. 11, 2011 at 5:34 am:
I like your wording. And you know it takes real luck to pick words that impress people. I really don't care for the grammer: that's what grammer check is for. d'uh. :p And I like the paper cranes- the first stanza was amazing.

CarrieAnn13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

Okay, I have a bit of criticism.

1.  Make sure to keep your capitalization consistent.  In most instances, you capitalize the first word of a sentence, but you don't always do that.

2.  What does honesty have to do with paper cranes?

Other than that, I actually like the rhythm of this poem.  It flows very well.

Calliashi said...
Great job!!! I'm learning about Hiroshima and the atomic bomb, so it surprised me this wasn't about it! And this is one of the ONLY free verse poems I like. I mostly hate the rest, lol. Great job!

.Izzy. said...
This is very original and creative. I like that you didn't need to rhyme to have your poem flow nicely. I am a little confused, however, on how wishing on paper cranes and honesty relate. However, I can tell that you are a very talented writer. Keep writing!

IceFox416This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 4:40 pm :
Thanks! Yeah, I'm not sure where the part about honesty came from, either. But the last verse was sort of trying to show how the paper cranes were nothing but the wish, weighed down by no human emotions or troubles. I don't really know how to say it, but it's sort of like they were the bit of the wisher that the wisher wanted to be: someone free and rising up, not weighed down by anything. That's what I think I was trying to say: when I write my best poetry, I get into this sort of poetic coma t... (more »)