Cronos

You were there at the rise of Cecrops,
watched the snake-king die.
You saw new empires form
under the sun-burnt sky.

Decades meant nothing to you,
a single ounce of life.
You watched it from your stronghold,
reveling in the strife.

You went by many names long ago,
you were master of the hour.
You were a planet, a god, a son,
and even a kindly old Father.

Your sire was the stars on high,
your mother, the lowly earth.
You shook them and they trembled,
before your twisted mirth.

You slew your father with a scythe,
made for agriculture and good.
You laughed or raged at the earth below,
whatever struck your mood.

Gaia was your mother dear,
your father, Uranus high.
You were a twisted, evil beast,
the spawn of earth and sky.

There is nothing left of you these days,

only crumbling tales of glory.
Even your reputation fades,
and with it, your story.

AnimaCordis said...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 5:39 am:
I love your use of ryhming here, it's very clever!

Emiri said...
Nov. 11, 2011 at 5:37 am:
I like the ryhming at the beginning and then at the end with "glory, story". that made me smile: it was good. I feel stupid not knowing this stuff about Cronos (in Greek mythology, according to the Greek myths book i read in English Honors 9th grade, it is spelled Cronos). I also respect your ability to have phases like this, that's really cool. keep writing!

CarrieAnn13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

Great poem!  I just have a bit of criticism:

1.  'Cronos' is usually spelled 'Cronus' or 'Kronos' to avoid confusion with Chronos, the personification of time.  Just a technical point.

2.  The large space between the first line of the last stanza and the second line looks like a mistake, even though it might have been deliberate.

Other than that, excellent work!

IceFox416This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 6:43 pm :
Yeah, I just realized that I'd spelled it wrond when I looked up "Cronos" on Wickipedia and it came up with movies and "Chronos" I think the Greek way to spell it is Cronous, right? I should change that. And the space  . . . when I submited the poem on here, it put in that space. Happened on my other poem to. Does it normally do that?

CarrieAnn13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 9:13 pm :
No, it usually doesn't do that.  And the Greek way is 'Kronos', not 'Cronous'.

Calliashi said...
Nice poem. I like greek mythology too so this poem was great. However, I always read it Kronos, not Cronos so it was funny reading this too :D

Signed_DKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I like it, it tells the story of Cronos very well, but you might want to check your facts. Yes .Izzy. he was a titan.

Nov. 8, 2011 at 6:16 pm :
Do you mean the part about Cecrops? I don't really mean Cronos being the king; I know Cecrops came after Zeus overthrew Cronos. I was just trying to show that Cronos had lived a long time. And the part about all of Cronos' names isn't just about his Greek names, it's all the names he's recieved over the centuries. If it's something else, please tell me. I'd like to make this poem as close to the myths as I can! :)

.Izzy. said...
Wow, this is a really cool poem. I don't know much about Greek mythology, but you created a picture of a mighty Titan (he was a Titan, right?), and how even he is eventually beginning to fade. Both of the poems I have read of yours flow very nicely, great job on that. I don't have any criticism for this, I like it how it is.