A Coward I Am

It seemed as if I were the only one there,
to witness his pain,
to watch his father punch him in the face.

He was the deemed victim,
I saw his father throw him across the sand.

And why?
All because he was a helpless little boy,
being taken in by the Oceans currents.

The demon arose in his father,
and sought out to kill the heart of he.

With every hit his little spirit came crashing down,
the demon slowly killed him inside and out.

Left,Right,
Left,Right,
Slaps across the face

“Daddy please...”, he cries
With every little tear running down his meek face,
came a new found reason to hate his father.

Had he done wrong by playing on the sand?
I think not!

And yet I witnessed his pain,
I felt it as my own.

And yet...I let it slide.
A Coward I Am...

TargonTheDragonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I agree with LoudDreamer, the father was probably just scared to death that the boy would have been hurt. but then again, i also think it was a poor choice to beat the boy. the man should have some sort of selfcontrol. but then again, when my bro hit me in the head with a rock (an accident i assure you) my dad was more concerned with yelling at my little bro because of my dads helplessness to stop the situation than to help me.

LoudDreamerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

Amazing, well written. I especially like "And  yet I witnessed his pain, I felt it as my own." I think that everyone has felt helplessness in one sitch or another. You did a very good job giving your readers avenues through which they can sypathize with this poem, with the regret and empathy behind it.

When it comes to the father, though, I think that he was more scared beyond his wits for his boy's safety than angry, men have trouble letting it show, so they show it by being... (more »)

ItzStar replied...

Thank you... I feel Validated... Finally...

Mahalo,

Star Kaohu-Scorse