Child Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Their eyes tell silent stories.
Stories that would shock even the darkest of hearts.
These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of.
They’ve seen killing and death, and pain and suffering to extents that can be hard to imagine.
Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight.
Emotionless eyes are being forced to kill in gruesome ways.
Eyes that seem to have run out of tears, because crying never helped.
Their sobs are unheard, their tears are unseen.
Children who are innocent are being ruined by men who see no hope in their government.
Men who are willing to take advantage of an irreplaceable innocence.
The eyes are deep brown.
A brown so deep you could get lost in it.
Eyes that catch attention for their beauty.
They silently tell of innocence lost and of silent tears cried.
These are the eyes of a child soldier.

jen123 said...
this i can see when i read it...it tells a true story that most people can belive..i can understand the hurt and the aggresivness to this poem...this is a very sad poem but strong.

ellie315 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This seems kind of amateur. I like the idea of through their eyes, but it's kind of wordy and just sounds like any old poem by a teenager.

Katie16 replied...
I kind of agree with you. I also don't like the fact that you said "men who see no hope in their goverment." Are you talking about the Military?

starstruck15 said...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 10:16 am
It breaks my heart, but in the way it's meant too..

Lonewolf1213 said...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 9:18 am
This is brilliant! So glad you got published; this is one of the best pieces I've read! Amazing job.

jhduysdg said...
Jan. 7, 2011 at 10:44 am

This is rlly sadd and touching, and its amazingly good. 

dfadF said...
Jan. 7, 2011 at 10:43 am
omg that was soo good but really sad i like almost cried

BrendansLeadingLady said...
Il y a tres symathique.

Icy96 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is so true and sad. I can't help but always keep these kids in mind any time I take something for granted. In America, we have so much just without asking for it. These kids see none of that, couldn't even begin to imagine the easy, lavish-by-comparison lifestyle that we live. I'm glad someone finally adressed this issue in a way that recieves the proper amount of attention. Thank you, keep writing.

skoppy355 said...
Wow, I'm really impressed.  Good poem addressing a real issue.

katiikat said...
This is beautiful, and sadly true

zhlenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 20, 2010 at 11:37 am
this is just so deep... i luved it

L3on2309 said...
Dec. 20, 2010 at 8:35 am
the first poem i ever read on this website... wow ... it's just amazing.

JonniK said...
Dec. 20, 2010 at 7:31 am
wow this poem is just..wow

TuffGurl said...
Dec. 20, 2010 at 6:25 am
You should read Not For Sale. It's about human trafficking, and in the book there's a chapter on Child Soldiers. What they have experienced... it's bone chilling. It makes you want to cry. And they had no choice -- if they tried to run away, they'd be beaten to death. The army in Uganda, LRA, is horrible. To become part of the LRA you must kill someone and lick their blood. It's horrible, and CHILDREN do that. We must stop human trafficking all around the world; there's even human traffic... (more »)

SReid said...
You did a great job! Keep up the good work.

writinglover24 said...
This is SO touching!

Ryalynn said...
this is as sad as true, children go through a lot that the world doesnt even see......some day i will help like i do now

WindDancer said...

This is so sad. You did a beautiful job.

It's so terrible. How could someone do that to a child?

bubblyblonde57 said...
That was so deep, i thought the one poem i submitted was good but reading this makes me think twice about what i'm writing. That was amazing.