Child Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Their eyes tell silent stories.
Stories that would shock even the darkest of hearts.
These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of.
They’ve seen killing and death, and pain and suffering to extents that can be hard to imagine.
Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight.
Emotionless eyes are being forced to kill in gruesome ways.
Eyes that seem to have run out of tears, because crying never helped.
Their sobs are unheard, their tears are unseen.
Children who are innocent are being ruined by men who see no hope in their government.
Men who are willing to take advantage of an irreplaceable innocence.
The eyes are deep brown.
A brown so deep you could get lost in it.
Eyes that catch attention for their beauty.
They silently tell of innocence lost and of silent tears cried.
These are the eyes of a child soldier.

CaptainFabulous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

i wrote a report on chiildren in war

read some of the saddest stories while writing it your poem really gets it

great job

Griffiths1998 said...
I had to read a story bout child soldiers. its very sad...but good job!!!

nitegirl said...
Thats amazing, and i completely get it... really good job :)

Maggie2014 said...

This is an inspiring piece that not only tells a story but touches the heart. While reading this i could literally see the children, i wanted to reach out and touch them, hold them comfort those innocent brown eyes. That is what good writing is about. Bravo

Shminkanator5000 said...
Wow this was really cool, and really well written. You can instantaneously feel the pain lodge through your heart when you read it. Fantastic work!

to.hold.the.sun This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is so touching. My eyes filled up with tears. What a powerful poem. 

Basketball23 said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 8:31 am
This is so fierce and harsh, but unfortunatly - for the most part - true.  This expresses such emotion...keep on writing.

katiemarie said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 7:57 am
i REALLY like this poem.

BitterSweet1993 said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 7:51 am
Lovely piece. Keep writing. <3

NoLabelsPlease said...
WOW! Powerful...

GoldSage said...
This is so True. I absolutely Love it.

jclsjb said...
That was great. I'm an emotional kid, so I cried when I read this. I think what you wrote about was an eye-opener to anyone and everyone who read it.

writingrox2 said...
this is great. i love the part about how the tears dont matter and the last 2 lines. keep it up! oh yea and please read my articles and give me advice!! :)

ChristySparrow said...
Recently, I read a book called A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah. It vividly describes how Ishmael was forced to become a child soldier and how everyone was killed in it. Ishmael still lives today! Oh, and good job on the poem. Can you read my story and comment on it please? it's called You Don't Understand Me on the writing forum section.

JazzyMyne said...
wow...this is very unique, in my face and shoves the truth before my eyes like a bulldoser. it makes absolute sense and i appreciate that you wrote this and put it up for me to read.

jetblue said...
thia this what every1 needs to do mad me cry

quentin-arehart said...
This reminds me specifically of the holocaust. In my English class, we just finished Night by Elie Wiesel. I think this poem definitely captures the essence of the tragic period of time. A time where we try to understand, but could never, ever comprehend unless we ourselves lived it. My hats off to anyone who survived, this poem and the tragic unspoken stories of those who's lives were cut short. :')

freedomfighter97 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Beautiful!  Thank you for capturing the "eyes" of these innocent children!

RandyA. said...
Feb. 24, 2011 at 9:13 am
This is great. I love this poem. 5 starts to this... keep it up

CarlaA.95 said...
Feb. 24, 2011 at 7:55 am
This is a really good poem, it opened the gstes to my heart and that is really hard to do. When I'm older I would like to help one of these kids and take him/her money and food, and clean water.