Child Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Their eyes tell silent stories.
Stories that would shock even the darkest of hearts.
These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of.
They’ve seen killing and death, and pain and suffering to extents that can be hard to imagine.
Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight.
Emotionless eyes are being forced to kill in gruesome ways.
Eyes that seem to have run out of tears, because crying never helped.
Their sobs are unheard, their tears are unseen.
Children who are innocent are being ruined by men who see no hope in their government.
Men who are willing to take advantage of an irreplaceable innocence.
The eyes are deep brown.
A brown so deep you could get lost in it.
Eyes that catch attention for their beauty.
They silently tell of innocence lost and of silent tears cried.
These are the eyes of a child soldier.

JSM1996 said...
Wow this is a great piece of writing. There is so much detail I feel that i can see this happening to someone right now. This piece is so sad.

Jacy-Lee said...

very simple and yet very beautiful, much like some of the greatest poems in history. this is well done and powerful. good job

writingchic said...
Wow. this poem is so powerful. Each stanza made it a little easier to see , a little easier to understand the real me and Chelsea I thank you for that. Keep up the amazing work.

Lola_Black said...
Oh my gosh, I cried reading this! Really makes me want to do something.

snaomi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:38 am

i agree that the subject of the poem is definitely something that needs to be much more discussed in todays society - 

poem-wise, though, I think the continuous periods make it a little too choppy - maybe a lack of punctuation and slightly more flowery language would help the flow

nai.n.n. said...
I totally agree! beautiful... truly inspiring!

. said...
***** 5 star for you perhaps 6

. said...
***** 5 star for you!

sashsinghz21 said...
awww .... this is so toughing ... i almost cried that hw sad da story is but these kids r SURELY brave no doughts on that....

laughqueen96 said...
wow, this made me tear. its beautiful.

foreverme143 said...
i love the truth of this free verse and how its simple but really powerful. i just want to know what made want to write this? like what brought child soldiers to ur attenetion?

jazzy18 replied...
you dont see what she or he wrote it is heart moving omg my heart just sank i love this if you dont see it then you are blind then my friend wow that  was really moving i see why you wrote this poem i understand why. these little kids have seen it all its moving

foreverme143 replied...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 8:43 am
maybe ur right, the poem is beautiful and i wasnt  trying to be blind, i was just wondering if she saw something on tv, witnessed in person, or read a book, that made them want to speak out. not blind, just curious

Dragonfly_Girl said...
Beautiful! Gave me chills! Horrible subject matter handled eloquently and movingly. The world needs more writers like you.

midniteprowl said...
wow!! so deep. i like deep, weel thought-through, understandable writing pieces. keep it up

Ocean&&Sun said...
Wow... Im speechless! That was so well written and yet so sad. I wonder what inspired you to write that. Is that really how our world has become?

DreamyJess said...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 11:07 am
Wow, such a sad and well written poem! It's so sad to hear about child soldiers but it's something people need to know and hear about. So well done! 

HopeEternal9 said...
This is such an amazing poem. I would feel so happy and grateful if I was able to write like you. Please, please, please write more:) 

freeflow23 said...
I love how you didn't hold back when talking about a subject like this.

Eno-BladzThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
:D wow i love this!!!!!