Child Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Their eyes tell silent stories.
Stories that would shock even the darkest of hearts.
These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of.
They’ve seen killing and death, and pain and suffering to extents that can be hard to imagine.
Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight.
Emotionless eyes are being forced to kill in gruesome ways.
Eyes that seem to have run out of tears, because crying never helped.
Their sobs are unheard, their tears are unseen.
Children who are innocent are being ruined by men who see no hope in their government.
Men who are willing to take advantage of an irreplaceable innocence.
The eyes are deep brown.
A brown so deep you could get lost in it.
Eyes that catch attention for their beauty.
They silently tell of innocence lost and of silent tears cried.
These are the eyes of a child soldier.

whitetiger303 said...
This poem is very moving but very true at the same time. I like the picture that goes with it. You can tell it fits the poem.

AngelHeart654 said...
GOOSEBUMPS!!!! I heard so much emotion n voice.

ConstellationN said...
That was so beautiful. That's what it is, you know? It made my heart sink when I read it, just because you captured what you were writing about. I hope you continue to write like this. It's very important, considering the age we live in.

shapeshifter56 said...
Beautifully written. You captured so much emotion in your poem. It is truly wonderful and clearly illustrates the pain of a child soldier.

Toby said...
this is awful, honestly, i dont know why people think its good, its terrible, not well written at all, yes about a sesative issue, but that doesnt mean people should feel obliged to say its good...

Bradymb94 replied...
Sept. 10, 2011 at 6:10 pm :

hey you don't need to rip on it, I don't think it's neccessarily great but theres no need to insult people.

DezyDee replied...
Sept. 23, 2011 at 3:05 pm :
This is a great writing.  However, in my opinion, it shouldn't matter what the writing is about. It matters more if it touches the heart of someone else. This is a fantastic poem. And I love it!

BeachBum101 replied...
Sept. 23, 2011 at 7:53 pm :
I agree that this poem is fantastic! I love all the descriptions and its well written. I love it over all. Dont let people stop you from wrtiting

ashbash This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 2, 2011 at 8:33 pm :
This is not American idol. This is teenink. We do not need a Simon. I thought it was incredible, No matter the subject, even though I too have a passion for raising awareness of child soldiers such as Invisible Children. Toby, lighten up. Courtney, keep writing. :)

SavannahMcKenna said...
Sept. 10, 2011 at 11:32 am:
this is awesomeee:) anyone should check out my stuff too

Shannon Y. said...
Sept. 10, 2011 at 7:05 am:
this is great!! very well written

JSM1996 said...
Wow this is a great piece of writing. There is so much detail I feel that i can see this happening to someone right now. This piece is so sad.

Jacy-Lee said...

very simple and yet very beautiful, much like some of the greatest poems in history. this is well done and powerful. good job

writingchic said...
Wow. this poem is so powerful. Each stanza made it a little easier to see , a little easier to understand the real me and Chelsea I thank you for that. Keep up the amazing work.

Lola_Black said...
Oh my gosh, I cried reading this! Really makes me want to do something.

snaomi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:38 am:

i agree that the subject of the poem is definitely something that needs to be much more discussed in todays society - 

poem-wise, though, I think the continuous periods make it a little too choppy - maybe a lack of punctuation and slightly more flowery language would help the flow

nai.n.n. said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 9:51 pm:
I totally agree! beautiful... truly inspiring!

. said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 5:55 pm:
***** 5 star for you perhaps 6

. said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 5:55 pm:
***** 5 star for you!

sashsinghz21 said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 1:02 pm:
awww .... this is so toughing ... i almost cried that hw sad da story is but these kids r SURELY brave no doughts on that....