Child Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Their eyes tell silent stories.
Stories that would shock even the darkest of hearts.
These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of.
They’ve seen killing and death, and pain and suffering to extents that can be hard to imagine.
Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight.
Emotionless eyes are being forced to kill in gruesome ways.
Eyes that seem to have run out of tears, because crying never helped.
Their sobs are unheard, their tears are unseen.
Children who are innocent are being ruined by men who see no hope in their government.
Men who are willing to take advantage of an irreplaceable innocence.
The eyes are deep brown.
A brown so deep you could get lost in it.
Eyes that catch attention for their beauty.
They silently tell of innocence lost and of silent tears cried.
These are the eyes of a child soldier.

Let-Love-In said...
touching, i'm almost in tears. no child should have to experience that. but an amazing poem.

mammothfrk said...
Feb. 11, 2012 at 10:37 am
Its inspirational

Michaela M. said...
wow all this and more is true the way you wrore this poem makes us truly understand what these people are going through.this poem says so much, the words that you wrote are chalenging writers them self to write what they feel

kate12345meThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Very moving, and very much from the heart. If I could point out something, try not to repeat the same word in the space of a few words, such as 'innocent' and 'innocence'. Apart from that, this was absolutely perfect and I think it is very deserving of being in the mag. If you could check out my work, I'd be honored. Keep writing, 13-year-old Katie x

Bookworm1997 said...
This poem is beautiful and emotional.

Daisysmile101 said...
really powerful poem almost made me cry.

purple678 said...
great poem- very emotional and powerful.

Fia-fia said...
THis is so sad, a wonderful and powerful poem though. Child Soldiers are a problem, and this is a good message. Thank you :)

CJN0808 said...
Wow! Great imagery and subject matter! Come check ou my poem if you like this, and rate/comment :)

StephY95 said...
I Love This Poem..... Its kinds Of relate to the book boy soilders it kind of brings tears to my eyes

mfischer said...
Brought me to tears, KEEP it up! :)

lili889 said...
from whose perspective is it writen from?

otherpoet said...
Wow! You are an excellent writer! I love the message this poem conveys, and you have such a strong voice. I can tell you are passionate about this subject!

ninja17 said...
Won my heart!

ApolloSun said...
This was a very nice poem! I explained just what it needed to in only a few words, which is nice to eyes. Great job!

james14 said...
Dec. 7, 2011 at 9:14 am
OMG! this was amazing! u r a really good writer! follow ur dreams and keep writing!

youngspeare said...
Dec. 7, 2011 at 1:43 am
wow! It's such a beautiful piece, i'm touched. 5/5 stars, excellent job! Keep writing, you sure are talented. :)
Check out my poem "Ghosts of the Past" and rate/comment? Would really appreciate it!

josika said...
Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:59 am
i completely agree with the whole idea of the poem

Nasra689 said...
this is so amazing it made me sad to read, sorry to write this but i also have a poem that is like this called "discrinimation" can u plz read it and give me feedback? thx :)

Big k said...
Nov. 29, 2011 at 10:20 am
Who cares