Child Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Their eyes tell silent stories.
Stories that would shock even the darkest of hearts.
These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of.
They’ve seen killing and death, and pain and suffering to extents that can be hard to imagine.
Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight.
Emotionless eyes are being forced to kill in gruesome ways.
Eyes that seem to have run out of tears, because crying never helped.
Their sobs are unheard, their tears are unseen.
Children who are innocent are being ruined by men who see no hope in their government.
Men who are willing to take advantage of an irreplaceable innocence.
The eyes are deep brown.
A brown so deep you could get lost in it.
Eyes that catch attention for their beauty.
They silently tell of innocence lost and of silent tears cried.
These are the eyes of a child soldier.

Maigz.xx said...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 3:22 am:
Not really sure what to say,
well.....WOW.
I studied Poverty in grade 6. I'm hoping to make a difference and help poverty through my photography!
I'm in grade eight now btw.
WOW. This was truly amazing!!! Like seriously amazing. Such a beautiful peice, it's just such a horrible topic hey?
Please keep writing, this was flippen awesome. Made me cry :)
ox

bmmsth said...
Mar. 2, 2010 at 9:31 am:
it was great!!!!!it makes me sad to have to think bout wut all these kids have to go through....but once again very very good

bmmskn said...
Mar. 1, 2010 at 9:02 am:
IT WAS GREAT! IT MAKES ME SAD THOUGH JUST TO READ THAT BUT ONCE AGAIN IT WAS GREAT!

roseann This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 17, 2010 at 1:38 pm:
simply beautiful. this almost made me cry, but like thse child soldiers i can't cry anymore. im not saying that what i went thru or what i'm going thru is anywhere near to what they go thru. but it sometimes feels as if all my emotions are spent, tear ducts dry. you really captured what little kids have to go thru.

PeaveLoveMe(: said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 9:09 pm:
Oh my ggawsh! you are such a powerful writer! Could you please read some of my poems? Anyone? I'd love any feedback! Of course, they aren't anywhere near as good as this poem! (:

alayapoetgirl said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 9:05 pm:
I hope everyone who reads this poem....acknowledges in the most intellectual way possible. You truly are a powerful writer! This is an amazing yet true topic that you have chosen, and great choice of picture as well. If you get the time check out my opinion essay on animal rights/vegetarianism

maddiewrites13 said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 3:11 pm:
I watched a video on this, a documentary. It was so sad, but eye-opening as well. The documentary is called "Invisible Children".

Cash4Goldopponent replied...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 6:35 pm :
Yeah it is pretty sad

Striker said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 9:34 am:
You are such a powerful writer. What the kids go through is very sad, but the message is clear. Keep writing.

jessica said...
these kids should be able to live and experience happy moments not dead people. they dreams are being taken away.they deserve a happy childhood.

Chey01 said...
this was soooo good i love the subject as well

OMGMARIOMAN replied...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 6:37 pm :
GOOD?!!! hOW IS IT GOOD THAT KIDS BARELY OLD ENOUGH TO GO TO SCHOOL HAVE TO BECOME SOLDIERS?!!!

sleeplessdreamer said...
The writing was great and the theme behind it was even better. Congratulations, you have a great poem and a great talent.

Unknown said...
This was a great article, it really touched my heart. I am along with the other people that want to help these kids. I am 13 years old and is one of 5 kids. We feel really bad and might adopt a brother and sister. This was definitely a great article and is one of, if not the best article I read on teenink. Amazing article!

fiftiesgal467 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 24, 2010 at 10:05 am:
good job, so sad

Mostly_Dead said...
Jan. 24, 2010 at 12:40 am:
This relates a lot to my father, who had to flee from Saigon during the Vietnam war. He was eight.

Chris B. said...
Jan. 12, 2010 at 8:18 am:
This is one of the best pems i've come across.This poem goes a lot deeper than just scratching the surface.

alexb31 said...
Jan. 11, 2010 at 8:44 am:
this is true in our world today and some people dont see that. this was an excellent poem, you had a good choice of words and thoughts and put them together to make a great piece

kedsberry!! said...
Jan. 8, 2010 at 12:50 am:
a standing applaud ... its wat u deserve! and a helping guidance is wat de CHILD SOILDERS deserve!!

Meera said...
Wow. The theme seemed a bit 'cliché' but it's actually very good, very moving.