Brother

If I fall down
because I tripped on one of the cracks
in the black asphalt
that expanded in this morning’s frost,
and skinned my knee,
you wouldn’t be
there to help me back up,
and wipe away my tears.

We are so much more than brother and sister;
so much more than best friends.
Without you,
I don’t know how
I’ll survive.

Gone.
After days of knowing,
and dreading and dreading...
As I say goodbye,
you’ve already gone.
But my heart still whispers,
unasked and endlessly repeating:
goodbye...goodbye...goodbye...
goodbye?

I shakily believe I can make it,
and it forms a solid enough bar
to give me something to hold onto.
But I’m still testing its strength,
hoping, pleading, that it will support me,
and not vanish,
making me fall down,
like I tripped on a crack in the black asphalt.

Tiggerlily14 said...
Dec. 6, 2011 at 11:39 am
I LOVE IT!!!!  I have never gotten along with my siblings very well, but one in paticular has been the worst!  but now that he is in college, 2000 miles away, I miss him, and I wish he was here.  I never realized, until he was gone, what he actually did for me.  I was always focusing on things he didn't do for me, and ways to get him in trouble, or get revenge.    This poem really touched me, and showed me what my brothers mean to me, even though they ca... (more »)

Risible replied...
I'm so glad you can relate to it and it makes sense to you in your life! Thank you so much for responding, it's great to hear people's stories in reaction to my poetry! 

Tiggerlily14 replied...
Dec. 7, 2011 at 9:15 am
No problem :)  you have a God-given gift!  Keep it up  :D

Risible replied...
thank you that means a lot! and I absolutely will, I love it! Do you have poems published on here?

Choosing2Live4Christ replied...
Jan. 7, 2012 at 6:03 am
Well, I just recently made an account, but I did submit a poem :)

FlaviusJacobiusOssummuss said...

Wow, this is amazing...

Can I hear the backstory, the inspiration?  Was this something that happened to you?

Risible replied...

I'm glad you like it, I was doubting a little after the first reaction to it. 

Actually, it didn't happen to me, it's a situation one of my best friends is currently in. The emotions she was conveying to me about the situation were so powerful that I wanted to write a poem about it..et voila! 

I find sometimes that I can write the best poems by stepping into other people's shoes and trying to explain their emotions. Taking myself out of the picture means that I'm not b... (more »)

. said...
Haha! Fantabulous. I am loving the black asphaltness and the first and last stanza. do your dance captain. i am alos loving the openment of the poem.

. replied...
um...boosflash said that, incase youre wondering.

Risible replied...
Thanks! 

Anonymous_7 said...
ok, Thanks now that you said this it makes perfect sense. Your welcome. And Keep up the good work!

Risible replied...
thanks! you too! 

Anonymous_7 said...
The second paragraph is what confused me. It feels like she is talking about how bad a brother he is and then how she cant live without him. But now it is much clearer, thanks!

Risible said...
oh I see what you're saying! No, it's not because he's a bad brother that he won't be there, it's because he's been forced to leave. Thanks for the feedback! 

Anonymous_7 said...

Anonymous_7 said...
The beginning of this poem is a little confusing would you mind explaining it? But I do really like it :D good job!

Risible replied...
The beginning is talking about how if she fell down, her brother wouldn't be there to help her up...very literal! Is that what was confusing? or was it the imagery?