Sowing Poppies

I do often wonder,
Do poppies still sow?
In the back of your mind,
Do they continue to grow?
Do your lies still fill a room,
Your silence a crowd?
Do you still close your eyes,
When you think no one is around?
Pretend I’m just an image,
Just a fragment of your mind,
That I’m not the girl you shot down,
That all is just fine?
That my bed is one of roses,
Of satin and love.
That it has not since blackened,
Unfurled to ashes and dust?
Do you still say you love me,
When you visit my grave?
Do you still tell the cops,
That you are not of any blame?
Do you still pretend when your face gets red,
That it’s not out of shame?
Do you still kneel down,
Before you start to pray?
Clasp your hands tight,
Then begin to shake?
Do you still utter a wish,
An occasional silent prayer,
That one day you’ll wake up,
And my name won’t be there?
Do you still begin to talk,
When you start to feel lonely?
Pretend that my ghost,
Is one of cronies?
Do you still swallow darkness,
As you did that last night?
Choke back a bottle,
Then begin to cry?
Pray to a girl,
Who can no longer hear you?
You’re not losing your mind,
This feeling is brand new.
Do you still sometimes pretend,
That I’m outside your gate?
That if you hurry down the staircase,
It won’t be too late?
Do you still sometimes cry,
When it begins to pour down rain?
Continue sowing poppies,
In your garden of shame?

PandaDx said...
Mar. 27, 2012 at 12:32 am

I enjoy mysterious pieces and you're really quite talented with putting words together that it plays a melody. I especially like the part:

"Do you still sometimes pretend,
That I’m outside your gate?
That if you hurry down the staircase,
It won’t be too late?"

It gives me the chills to my spine, which I don't feel quite often. I used to write somewhat mysterious pieces myself but have not found the inspiration to write like I've wrote before. Although ... (more »)

Kinzi said...
Feb. 11, 2012 at 3:37 am
Wow. This poem has a lot of depth to it. I'm still figuring it out... And, as usual, great job! =D I'm really enjoying reading your poetry.

thetruthawaits94 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great poem! So dark and mysterious seeming. Wonderful job!

writerfreak21231This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I'm sorry that I havent gotten to comment on your story! This was really good! I love the flow of w

writerfreak21231This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
words, its really pretty. Great job and thank you for commenting on my story! (sorry that i did two comments, it cut me off!). :)(:

FrenchHippie said...
Dec. 28, 2011 at 11:42 am
Eerily Beautiful and compelling. You definitely have talent! Keep up the good work

Hirschikiss said...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 11:50 am
I'd like to hear you opinion on some of my work if you have the time :) love your poem!

gilchresty This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 3:42 am
Beautiful!

StrangeJade This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow. The weight of this poem has stripped all descriptive words from me. The rhythm of this -- gentle but far-off -- is wonderfully done; the story and the way it is told is ghostlike and... um... I'm out of adjectives. But wow. *claps* :) Keep up the great work!

clumsyteardropper said...
OH. MY. GOODNESS.  that was like an awesome emotional roller coaster ride.  i love this style of writing (well, poetry, in this case).  very well done.  keep writing, I want to read more, i already read everything you've written! :)
oh, and could you check out this one thing i published thus far.  it's call "Iron Box".  rate and comment please :)

lonelyLaviathin said...
bravo. exactly how i feel about the friends i had who betrayed me. you have a knack for telling the truth, keep at it. bravo.

RedheadAtHeart This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Ohh...how beautiful...and sad...and terrifyingly true...

Superbly crafted. Excellent work.

Hirschikiss said...
Wow! This poem is so powerful it gave me goosebumps. Love the rhyming, keep writing :)

gossimergrrl said...
wow. just wow.

taintedannex This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
 Oh my goodness - I love this so much. Usually poems of love and imagery of flowers ends up being cliched and sappy, but this is such a wonderful take on it. I love the way the poem is written in a list of questions and still doesn't feel repetitive and get annoying, and I love even more the angle you decided to do it in. The imagery is all the more unique, powerful, and amazing in light of the death and darkness that is intertwined. <3

aurorairis said...
Great job! I love the imagry here! Very powerful!!

JuneTaz said...
Nov. 5, 2011 at 11:06 am
Consider yurself a poetic perfectionist! Five stars, all the way.

SophiaCross said...
Nov. 3, 2011 at 10:59 am
I love this!!!

dancestar said...
tht was jst simply amazing...so descriptive..nd wow i wish i cld write like u..honestly jst speechless

irishlass317 said...
I love this!!!!!!!!!! Very, very, very  good!!!!!!!!!!!