The Acrobatics Way | Teen Ink

The Acrobatics Way

By HollywoodHotshot BRONZE, West Chester, Pennsylvania
HollywoodHotshot BRONZE, West Chester, Pennsylvania

"There is a fine line between fishing and standing at the shore like an idiot." -Steven Wright
"Even a genius can run into doors." -anonomys

I am a brave acrobatic performer
I wonder what will happen during every daring performance
I hear a symphony of laughing, screaming, and the dinging of the carnival rides.
I see the ground below me spinning under me, my partners soaring beneath and above me as I fly through the stuffy, humid air
I want to feel the adrenalin course through my veins like a horse running from a tornado as I fly towards the handles hanging in mid air
I am a brave acrobatic performer

I pretend that all over the world people are watching me fly and grab my partners’ ankles and slingshot myself towards my next partner in a rush of color and shining brilliance
I feel the wind whisper through my hair as if telling me secrets meant only for me while I glide high above the audience that sit under the big top.
I touch the chalky bars of the floating handles
I worry that I might miss my targets, whether it be my partners’ ankles or the ghostly handles, fall and end my career
I cry when I sprain a wrist or an ankle and cannot participate or one of my partners does not make it past a performance
I am a brave acrobatic performer

I understand that the Ring Master is counting in me to put on an amazing performance
I say that when I’m flying through the air I am like a bird studded with colorful diamonds
I dream that one day I will make it to the Big Apple
I try to do my best and make the crowd exclaim “Ooooh” and “Ahhhh’
I hope that I will always be able to put on another performance
I am a brave acrobatic performer

I flipped channels to a show on TV (i don't even know what it is called) and it was about acrobats in the circus. I remembered that show when i was in class about to write an "I Am" poem. I did not want mine to be like everyone else's, literally all about me. I wanted mine to be fantasy, yet real and beautiful anyway. So I chose an acrobats life. I hoped you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it.

on Oct. 23 2011 at 4:34 pm

Thanks a bunch!

Mowy Wowy said...
on Oct. 23 2011 at 3:12 pm
Nice use of imaginative language. I felt the thrill and power of flying thru the air as I read this.