"God Bless America"

The lives we lost,
The seconds that passed,
As their heartbeats slowed and then
Stopped, Altogether.
The tears that were shed,
The grief that was felt,
Darkness fell upon us.
As the caskets were closed
We watched with our sullen faces,
As they were lowered into the ground,
Never to be seen again,
Though their presence was felt all around.
We looked at their smiling faces,
On photographs that filled the house,
Cried again and again,
But tried to act strong,
We felt broken, but piece by piece,
We found ourselves,
and rose to a new beginning,
A fresh start,
Though the pain never left us,
We rose,
We rose, and put our hand on our hearts,
and said,
"God Bless America"

KeepLivingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:20 am:
I'm not american, but i felt the power in these words. Very patriotic AND well written.

AyeshaLiveLaughLove replied...
Jun. 25, 2012 at 11:22 am :
Thanks a lot! I appreciate it! Keep me updated on your work(:

youngspeare said...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 2:49 am:
awwh, this is so touching! I am not American but it's so patriotic, so passionate all i can say is hats off to you. There are very few who'd write about their country! 
:-) Keep posting! 

AyeshaLiveLaughLove replied...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:35 pm :
Thanks so much! It's great that though you aren't American, it affected you ina way it did me.  Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to review my work!(: Keep me updated on yours!

augustsummerflingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 2:40 am:
This was very insightful! I especially liked the way you described their funerals (caskets closed n lowered into the ground). It felt so real n I could feel myself standing n watching that scene run in front of my eyes. You finished it off really well too :)

AyeshaLiveLaughLove replied...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 2:44 am :
Thanks a lot! That is exactly the mood I wanted to set my readers in. I felt like the essence of the piece should be the truth itself. I am glad you felt similarly(: Thanks again! Keep me updated on your work!

KanupriyaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 2:30 am:
hmmm.....m feeling a bit short of words right now....a sort of sinking feeling is now gripping me....TERRIFIC....is the only thing i can think of... :)

AyeshaLiveLaughLove replied...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 2:40 am :
I am so glad that this piece has had that effect on you! The feeling that you have described was actually what I was hoping the readers would feel. Again, thank you so much! Keep me updated on your work as well(:

ACreativeMess said...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:37 am:
This topic is really important because I had family in that tower that passed before I got to really know them. Also because 9/11 is my first childhood memory. I remember seeing the planes go down and all the people jumping. And I thank you for this wonderful poem :)

AyeshaLiveLaughLove replied...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:48 am :
I am so sorry about your loss.  I feel like you truly understand the point i was trying to make in this piece! That was certainly a horrifying day for the entire country.  I thank you for taking the time to look at it! Keep me updated on your work(:

frecklefire said...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:55 am:
Wow, this is such an inspirational piece. I witnessed the twin towers collapse, and though I was young, it traumatized me. This poem truly summons up the effects of that day, and I love its rhythm and pace. Really amazing!

AyeshaLiveLaughLove replied...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:09 am :
That day is etched in many hearts, young and old. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my work, I really appreciate it!

KatieSnyder said...
Jun. 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm:
This was really good. one of the best writings i've read in a long time!

AyeshaLiveLaughLove replied...
Jun. 23, 2012 at 1:40 pm :
Thanks! I really appreciate it :)

Lizzy27 said...

I LOVE YOUR POEM!!! I know how hard it is to lose someone and i feel you truly brought that point out in your poem!  KEEP WRITING!!! This should definitely be published!!! :) BTW i love your last line and how you incorporated it in your poem...its very creative!!!  Once again keep writing and keep me UPDATED!

-Lizzy

AyeshaLiveLaughLove replied...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:22 am :
Thank you SO much! I totally know what you mean(: That is so nice of you! I will never stop writing if I have support like this! I'll keep you updated, and you keep me updated on your work!

LisaR! said...
This is one of the nicest pieces I have read in a long time!! I love your writing it is very touching--FIVE STARS!

AyeshaLiveLaughLove replied...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:23 am :
Thank you sooo much!  I am glad that you enjoyed my writing(: Thanks again! Keep me updated on you work!

Inaara Rosli said...
LOVED IT!!!!! :)

AyeshaLiveLaughLove replied...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:24 am :
THANK YOU!!!!!(: