What makes you better than me

What makes you better than me?

I'm not like most girls.

I don't wear make-up

I don't wear name brand clothes

I'm not a size 3 supermodel

I don't believe in destroying ones
self esteem for my own amusement.

Why do I get judged for who I am?

What have I done to be treated so poorly?

I've taken this beating for years and years

But I'm still standing on my feet

Head held high.

Though it does sting me and leave bruises, my heart is not made of paper

Still not understanding why I'm hated so

I will not sink to your level to be liked.

I'm not shallow, selfish or spiteful

I'm caring, helpful and loving.

I refuse to be brought down.

Tiwaz said...

The emotion is strong here, and I'm glad that you feel confident and don't allow others to bring you down. One thing I'd like to say, though (and I'm sure you realize this and didn't intend it this way): Size 3, makeup, and name-brand clothes =/= shallow or mean. A lot of girls (myself included) have been made to feel bad for being small or wearing makeup. Just because these are things that many girls do doesn't mean they're wrong. I've seen too many girls who have been bullied turn around an... (more »)

Behind_a_Plastic_Smile said...
Yesss!! :) *two thumbs up*

Josika.Nav replied...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 4:02 am
i second that! the poem is so beautiful even if it is so simply stated! ..i do have one tiny suggestion though...in the line 'still not understanding why...' i really think you should replace the 'still not understanding' with ' still don't understand why..' , it sorta improves the flow of the poem. but that is just my opinion. anyway.. ...great work and keep writing :D

snaomi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like the passion of the lines and their set up . For the most part, you used punctuation at the ends of the sentences, and I like that - it adds power - so maybe considering adding periods to the rest of the sentences. I think the line "I don't believe in destroying" could be stronger if "ones" were replaced with "other's" or "your". Also the line "I will not sink to your level" might be stronger without "to be liked". But other than that I mad dig :) Thoughts?

PinkSkittlezInMahMouth said...
this is my fav. can definately feel the emotion.

milforce said...
Truer words have never been spoken and I can understand where your coming from. People have made fun of me just because I wear glasses. Stupid, right? But anyway, this is really good and you do a great job of letting your voice be heard. Good word choice too. Keep it up!

Sarajustine said...
Oct. 23, 2011 at 9:15 am
Wow this is so true! A reader can really connect to this because a lot of people feel the same way. Great job!

BrightBurningCampeador This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I felt like I was reading the story of my life. The wording of this poem is strong in a good way, but I think the rhythm could use improvement. The way each line is a sentence makes it very much like prose. If that's not what you're going for I'd suggest breaking some of the lines into smaller segments.

AngelsLullaby replied...
Thanks for the advice :) I'll work on that.

Emiri said...
This is so true. I'm not a size 3 supermodel. i liked that line teh best. :p

ms.nerdalicious replied...
I loved that poem! It's really sweet, because I know a ton of girls (myself included) who feel that exact same way. Again, I loved it!

AngelsLullaby replied...
Thanks for reading :)