The Ones Without a Howl | Teen Ink

The Ones Without a Howl

By TheQueenofHearts BRONZE, Oakland, California
TheQueenofHearts BRONZE, Oakland, California

If you truely love something, let it go. If it comes back to you its yours forever, if it does not then it was never yours to begin with.

I have seen the young minds of my generation grow dull, apathetic, cruelly distant,

frozen before a bright white screen with no sound but a symphony of mindless clicking,

They enter a world of status and two-dimensional chatter in which they are trapped and time is

eaten and devoured by a non-existent universe,

They struggle to connect emotion, to action, to human being and waste away in a world of false
friends and stranger families that is only pretended and always scripted,

They imitate art and art has abandoned them to a world without rules, consequences, or
limitations, and so they jump without a look to see how far they will fall,

They express themselves to express themselves without ever really expressing themselves,

They drift father and father away from those they have left behind in language, culture, and
social norm and are left with a society of their own creation that they fail to comprehend,

They look at the world with glazed eyes: they look, comprehend, don’t comprehend, distance
themselves from, and laugh at a world of reality,

They strive for, claim, and imitate uncaring, and so they are left with nothing, given nothing,
leave nothing of any real value. They are the ones without a care to howl for.

My version of the famous poem "Howl" based on the troubles of my generation.

tally said...
like it, it's free verse but it has nice rhythm and i like the repetitiveness.

bones said...
really cool, I like the the idea that we express without really expressing anything, like that society expects us to express ourselves and that's what makes it tainted. also like the idea that nobody knows the rules in this new era like with the internet and stuff. Fav poem this week

rosie said...
love it, really interest look at today's young people as opposed to the generations of the past.

on Oct. 12 2011 at 9:11 am
Nicole-Leigh SILVER, Lawrencebrug, Indiana

"Heart. Confidence. Desire." - Rion Best

This is fantastic! I'm speechless! Great job! Your so emotional, yet dry at the same time! LOVE IT!