Dance of the Star Person

Look, there she dances!
Behind the curtain of dusk colors
Sunflower yellows and rose reds
And a spotlight of orange projected from
God knows where
The audience is chatting amongst themselves
The director stuck his head in a barrel which he found
In his mother’s back yard
Because it’s kind of fun to scream into a barrel
No one can hear you

Her dress is woven with cloth hearts
Tickling the black, wooden floor around
A pair of bare feet
Which tap in tune to a song
Only she can hear
Tapping
Tapping
How can there be a breeze backstage?
But there is
So this must be an enchanted place
Sit still and be nothing
Then maybe the Earth will touch you
Many would die for the chance
To feel the shiver of those burning fingertips
But everyone must die a little
To live a little
Then live a lot, if you want to join the dance

But that’s the difficult part
Leaping into the moment as it quivers far below you
Her face has the tranquility of statues
And the fluidity of water
The beauty of angels
And the humility of a servant
The nakedness of stars
And the mystery of God
To grab the golden heart, as it floats on air and time
Would be to jump into the fire
Even though it says it promises not to burn you
So she dances on
And the audience is made up of cowards to leave her behind the curtain
But that’s the way it is
Maybe in the end, they’ll join her
And they will all dance behind the curtain, center stage
And laugh and hug and cry, shedding tears of light

Elizabeth-of-rohanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:47 am:
Once in a blue moon I find a person with a love for words and stringing them together.  You are one such person.  I can't stop reading what you've submitted on here, they feed my soul. Thank you.

An-eloquent-leafThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 21, 2012 at 3:18 pm:
Ah, how lucky Stargirl is, to receive a poem dedicated to herself written by none other than the Feathery Bard himself! I do believe there isn't another gift that can top that :)

"To grab the golden heart, as it floats on air and time/Would be to jump into the fire/Even though it says it promises not to burn you"
Those lines particularly grabbed my attention- quite beautiful imagery you have there. For some reason, though, rather than picturing a golden heart, I imagined... (more »)

RedFeatherThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
The lines "But everyone must die a little to live a little" is what I think catches my attention the most. That's true in some ways, I guess. There must be death for life to continue on and become renewed, but death can still suck.

Rayne said...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 12:10 am:

Its awesome the way you use your words. It makes me wonder what inspired you.... I almost always wonder that though... A dancer? Someone in love? 

I like the lines "But everyone must die a little/ to live a little/ Then live a lot, if you want to join the dance"

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 30, 2011 at 6:18 pm :

Aha, both inspired me, in the selfsame form. :)

I thank you kindly for your comments; they are most well received.

Aderes47 said...

This is so sweet!

And awesome, beautiful, captivating....

I honestly don't know how you can top it! 

Oct. 15, 2011 at 5:51 pm :

Thank you so much!

And (uh oh), maybe I can't top it... ;)

savetheplanet said...
OH MOST BEAUTFUL POEM EVER.  I've always thought dancing was so graceful.  This poem reminds of that Josh Groban song, So She Dances.  GREAT JOB :D

Oct. 11, 2011 at 6:42 pm :

Danke, Liz. Dancing is graceful (for some, at least, not me).

I haven't heard of Josh Groban, but I'll give him a listen.

savetheplanet replied...
Oct. 11, 2011 at 8:29 pm :
GASP. Sorry, it's just that I really like Josh Groban.  YES, you should definitely listen to him :D  I usually use a website called grooveshark which is like a music search engine.  It's pretty cool.

IamtheshyStargirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

Oh Euphoric rush of the soul! 

Oh frabjious day, Calloo, calay! 

Oh the rainbow and Oh, the sea! 

I thought that I must turn off my music to read this symphony of a poem, and turn off my music I did. (Even though it was Bjork and she's quite the Starperson herself, only silence could accompany and compliment such a silent melody)

"Because it's kind of fun to scream in a barrel", my heart leapt at this line, only heaven knows why, though... (more »)

Oct. 10, 2011 at 7:42 pm :

Bjork is, undoubtedly, one of the most unique artists out there. But silence often makes a beautiful accompaniment, yes. :) Henry Nouwen taught me that, in fact.

I like that line, too! It sounds really egotistical for the author to say something like that, but often, I feel like I'm only pulling together stuff that I experience for my poetry, so it doesn't really seem like my work.

I'd love to scream into a barrel, because there are quite a lot of emotions I'd like to put... (more »)

Aderes47 replied...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 7:38 pm :

Sorry Raven, 

The reason why I never replyed to your comment on my poem       Love:The words of our languages is because my sister made me delete the poem from the website!

She said it was too embarrassing and she said I would get into trouble. 

savetheplanet replied...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 7:42 pm :
Yah, but she's your sister, why did you have to?  And it was NOT embarrassing.  It was a really good poem.

Aderes47 replied...
Oct. 13, 2011 at 9:36 pm :

My sister thought it was embarrassing because she knew who the poem was about. 

I had to because my sister has the ability to get into some serious trouble. She knows me too well and she's a snitch. 

IamtheshyStargirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 14, 2011 at 4:43 pm :

Hey Raven, I've got a really good book for you, it's called "Dumbing us down: the hidden curriculum of compulsory schooling". It's about public school, and it talks about how schoolchildren are taught not to think for themselves, just like something you once said. 

Anyway, the book's by John Taylor Gatto, if you're interested :)

Oct. 15, 2011 at 5:55 pm :
Oh, I'm really sorry you had to delete it, Aderes, it was such a tenderly written poem! It's a pity that what's tender must be thought of as 'embarassing' as well. But I quite understand why you did it, although I'll certainly miss it.

Oct. 15, 2011 at 5:56 pm :

That sounds intriguing, Stargirl; I'll certainly look into it!

I've been reading a novel which speaks of insanity, and the way that "sanity" is only what the majority decides.

Aderes47 replied...
Oct. 15, 2011 at 7:37 pm :
You know what I mean. But I might just put it up again... :)

Oct. 17, 2011 at 4:56 pm :
How interesting, Raven, very true besides.