Last of the Dragons

The last of the dragons
Crawl down
Into sewer lairs
To guard hoards
Of painted plastic
And copper coated zinc

Their flames gone
Used up
By smog induced coughs

The only fair maidens captured
Anorexic barbies
Whose gleaming smiles
Scare off
Even the fiercest wyvern

Who can say
How long they will continue
To subsist
These last of the dragons

Little.Miss said...
This was interesting. It caught me a little of guard, just the way it turned... but it was pretty neat.

Dynamo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 15, 2012 at 4:09 am
Awesome really. The use of dragons as a metaphor was interesting. I never thought anyone would do that. This poem has everything that a good poem must have; it resists cliche, is unique and creative. The only one I'll rate besides giving a review:)

Emiri said...
Oct. 15, 2011 at 6:21 am
Interesting. I like the use of dragons as a metaphor. Good job! I always like puttihng anorexics in bad spotlight... its fun.

LittleMidnight said...
Interesting read, good job. That and I'm a big dragon lover. love it!!! >.<

ItsAshMal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like the continuity created by the repetition of the first & last lines, as well as how you brought a mystique into the problems of the world. Very thought provoking! On the other hand, though, a couple of terms ("anorexic barbies") were a little cliche.

SwallowedByInsanity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very thought provoking, I definitely enjoyed the line about 'fair maidens' and 'annorexic barbies'. You're writing is intriguing, keep it up!

love2love17 said...
Wow, I really like your take on this, especially the term anorexic barbies. Very thought-provoking!

AngelsLullaby said...
I like how you see the world. It once was healthy and in good shape but now, thanks to man kind, its polluted and alot of its majestic animals have been killed. I like the word choice too.

PaigeStreet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 2:56 am
Ok, so I'm kind of super impressed with the poeticism here. And the fact that you used the word wyvern. The meaning is layers thick, and the metaphor is potent. Good stuff. 

JoanMole This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 2:17 am
I love the language used in this poem. It is very powerful, the way the pollution and corruption of the world has even suppressed a symbol of valiance and greatness.

sunny.all.day. said...
This is good! And it really rings true in this day and age because of all the pollution and artificial- ness ( I, for one, am a believe of global warming)