Oh Selfish Soul, Oh Cursed Heart

I beg you, Heart, Please stop your beating!
I beg you, please stop healing!
The pain and aching is far too great for my selfish soul to bear.
Please take me back to when I died,
My heart, numb to the core.
To when I never felt the pain-
Of loving anymore.
To when I never saw a child, and smiled.
To when I never felt warm.
To when trust was out of the question,
And people were not real.
I hate the way it feels to feel!
The anxiety it brings!
I hate the love that stirs my heart
When I see those cursed eyes.
And how each time I see him,
My heart begins to sing...
Please take this all away from me!
And let me die alone!
For I cannot bear it when that day that will come.
The day that he'll be gone.

CarolinaBoy23 said...
This is really good. It's very descriptive and you can really feel how your feeling while reading it. I like it a lot. Can you read my new poem? Its called "The Girl"

savetheplanet said...
This is so much better that the typical angst poem, so much more emotional attachment and deepness to it.  :D

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 8, 2011 at 10:19 am
I liked this poem very much. For what? For its acknowledgment that emotion is a bundle intended for the soul which carries pain as well as satisfaction. For its rhythm, which carries me through a fragile story and into the image of a broken (but still beating) heart. For the tragedy that the speaker has begun to "hate love," and warmth, because it is so painful! This is more intricate, and feels more meaningful, than most of the love poems I've read on here. Well done, many times, well done.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 8, 2011 at 10:22 am

"When love beckons to you, follow him, though his ways are hard and steep. And when his wings enfold you yield to him, though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you." ~Kahlil Gibran

I love your poetic name "fire and rose petals," as well as the Dickinson poem you have on your profile page. It's one of my favorites of hers.