Who I Am

Call me what you will,
Though I am who I am.
Nothing you say will change me.

You can throw things at me,
But I am who I am.
Nothing can heal my hurt.

I run away from evil.
I try to shun the dark.
But somehow, they always catch up,
Trying to change who I am,

But I am who I am.
And no one can tell me otherwise.

Only I can change myself,
And even then
I am who I am.

How I feel,
How I react,
When I hurt,
Why I hurt,
Who can help me?
Who can understand me?

Me.

Because I am who I am
And who I am is free.

half.noteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I can understand this. After all, it's almost impossible for anyone to not be influenced by the people around them. I find the best way not to change who you are to become like others, is to think of God. Try to follow Jesus' example and not your friend's. Untimately, what God thinks of you is all that really matters. If you ever find yourself caving to peer pressure, or changing yourself so others will like you, say a prayer and remember to be and act like Jesus. This was an excellent poem.

Akane-Ree said...
Nov. 13, 2011 at 10:43 am
I read this, and I feel like I can relate to it. Great job. :)

MidnightNow1127 replied...
Thanks. My feelings when I wrote this were very confused. I felt like whenever I find a new friend, I subconsciously adjust and change my identity to become more like them, because people like people that are like themselves. When I finally realize it, it's always too late. Do you ever feel like that, or is that just me?

Akane-Ree replied...

No, I always feel like that. Then I stopped, last year, after i met this person who was really cool, but had some VERY messed up history. And she asked, "so, what wierd/messed up thing have happened to you?" and I was like "um. well, nothing really. *leads a boring lfe*" And i could have said something else, but I wasn't going to change who I am for someone else. Not that time.

But I more felt when I read this about things like "popularity", and how if I were to be like the girls who a... (more »)

MidnightNow1127 replied...
Exactly. I have never been in a public school, so I'm not too familiar with the popular people, but I watch movies (if thats anything close to real life...). That one things that I really want out of life is to find who I am. Decide for myself who I want to be.

Akane-Ree replied...
Hahaha, movies can be... distorted. You have the same characters, but everything is a bit blown out of proportion XD Real life (how I see it)-There are the girls who are the typical popular ones. Except that in real life most of them aren't modelesque, but they're usually just as mean :(

MidnightNow1127 replied...
Ooohhh, that must suck :/ Sorry you have to deal with all that crap.

Akane-Ree replied...

Ah, nah.. (thanks) I got used to it. It bothered me a lot when i was eleven.. but not so much now. Now, i usually ignore them or give them some form of a biting response, which isn't helpful in any way except for personal satisfaction XD

By the by, I know this was a few weeks back, but thanks for the comment on "A Dead Girl's Eyes" (which I stupidly published anonymously). Meant a lot to me ^_^

MidnightNow1127 replied...
Hey, no problem. I like letting people know when they do well. I know it's not too cool, but I'm a very sarcastic person, and I love seeing peoples faces after I tell them something that they can't reply to. ^_^ I know its rude, but hey, that's me!

KohlEyes said...
Well this is depressing :( But well written. I kind of like it.