Fairer With Time

I remember you
From a long time ago
I was just a child
And you were just a girl
I remember the words
That you used to say
With a tear in your eye
And a cry in your soul
The more withered roses
Grow fairer in time
While the withered people
Fly away in the wind
Where the wind carries them
None of us will know
Over the mountains and hills
They escape on their own
That's where I've gone
I've escaped from you
To the valley of roses
That never will wilt
I've been here for years
I never have left
Now you have escaped
To the valley as well
Even somber and grave
Grows joyful in time
So the valley has bloomed
So the people still smile
In the valley of roses
Full of the sad and withered
But still there is sorrow
For never a man grows fairer in time

milforce said...
I'm not gonna lie, this did confuse me a bit. But by no means was it in a bad way. Yes, it confused me but I didn't really care. The piece was still beautiful and I really liked it.

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 20, 2011 at 4:22 am
 I think this poem has a very deep meaning beneath your wonderful word choice. I probably had to read it two or three times to get a better understanding of what you're trying to say, and I guess it can relate to the black plague. I feel like it can be interpreted in many ways though. I think the 'you' is someone who has passed away, and the 'valley' is the afterlife. It's just how I saw it, anyway. Your symbolism is amazing. I really like this :)

Little.Miss said...
I agree with SwallowedByInsanity... It was interesting, but I'm a little confused. Maybe if you explained it some, it'd help!

SwallowedByInsanity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I found this hard to relate to, but that's just me.

But, trust me when I say this, it was not very dark or disturbing at all. In my head I was picturing people running away from a world of horror into a valley of beauty. Is that how you meant to portray it?

JoPepper said...
Oct. 2, 2011 at 9:10 am
I don't see how it's about the black plague but that could be because I'm a little slow. But this was a fantastical poem! keep writig!!! ;D

Emiri replied...
I find it a little hard to...connect with. But still, i love its wording. Good job!

wordjunkie replied...
Hmm. I wish it wasn't about the plague, because without the description I got a totally different impression. What I took I can actually relate to alot, and its about getting over sorrow. But I guess everyone sees something different.