21st Century

This is our generation
Growing up newer and faster
Leaving the old fashioned
Behind to choke on the dust

We forget those who just can’t keep up
The weak, old dementia inflicted
Whose clueless looks we just ignore
Whose milky eyes are dismissed and passed by

Their pleas are turned away
Their feeble voices struggle to be heard
Above our blasting radios
And zooming, new cars

Everyday new things come
And we rejoice
Everyday old things dafe
And we just watch dry- eyed

Can we find it in our hearts
Our hardened high tech hearts
To remember them when their gone?
Remember as they were

Strong and passionate
proud, with the chivalry we’ve been missing
Carrying the strength we lack now
And we fill that void with parties and lies

But I will remember them always
So who will stand with me?
To keep them alive in dreams and memories
To live on through us

And hope the future does the same

so_joy said...
Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:46 am
Great job! I like this very much. It made me sad and I want to reach out to Alzheimer’s patients now. Thank you for impacting my life. Please read, rate, and comment on my poems! It would mean a lot.  

StrangeJade This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Tragic and powerfully written... I really enjoyed this. The fact that it is non-rhyming but arranged in four-line stanzas threw me off a little, but other than that there is nothing I would change about this poem. Bravo! :)

.Izzy.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I think a lot of people should read this poem. My grandma has Alzheimer's, and although she may not remember me, I'll always remember her. This is a very powerful poem and I liked it a lot. Keep writing!

BrightBurningCampeadorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is a very powerful poem. I agree we should take better care of our elderly. I mean, come on people, ever heard of karma? Golden rule?

maxxthecrazysnowleopard said...
Sept. 27, 2011 at 12:52 am

im sorry for not getting you back or really leaving a comment for this poem. but it was very sad and i love how it was set together...

anyway i havent posted anything in FOREVER because like i said my dad follows me on here... ANYWAY i am so happy to have a stalker for a good reson.

and now admitidly i stalk your account haha but i agree my old poems arnt very fluent, neither are my new ones, im more into art tho. but i hope i can see more of your work and mine aswell!

sunny.all.day. replied...

Haha, stal.ker buddies :P Thanks for the comment and reading it and so on... 

I hope to see more of your work (choppy or not) :) including pictures/ painting, etc.

maxxthecrazysnowleopard replied...
haha thanks i cant wait