Is this me or being a teen?

I hate specific memories....
I just remembered that dying my hair doesn't change my person
I guess I forgot....
Sometimes I wonder
If everything I do is really a mask
If my clothing style is just a cover,
and all my likes and dislikes are there
simply to hide who I really am
I wonder who
I really am
And could I find it
if I looked?
How hard would I have to look?
I guess being a teen
is just what this is called,
But it's simply aggravating.
Whatever,
What does it matter?
Anyway, all this does is hurt my thoughts
and kill my self-esteem.
Surely it's worth knowing
If they like me, or my mask

EmbraceURawesomenessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 25 at 4:28 pm:
nice job, this is great! TEENAGE GIRLS (boys too, I guess) WE MUST BAND TOGETHER AGAINST OUR FREAKIN' INSECURITIES!! srsly, this poem is empowering. I feel like telling that mirror, "HELL!" Really good, because it's really true.

AdrienneMPayneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:35 am:
Um...  Wow...  Do you realize how deep this is?  This is a self analization of the deepest kind that most teens don't even know to think of.  This looking inside yourself, and pondering the reasons behind the actions.  I love how it is written in a simplistic fashion, openly and honestly just like one's talking out loud.  It is very real and relatable.  A picture of adolecense told by someone too mature for their shell.  Good work.

ColouredCagesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 8, 2012 at 5:19 pm :
Awww, you're so sweet! Thank you. ^-^

JoPepperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:40 am:
I feel this way sometimes.  I really like it and I agree with every else I LOVE the last line!!!

AlaskaFrostThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
wow great job! the last line is KILLER!

The_End said...

The middle part "I wonder...I looked?" has a rhythm that gives the poem just the right change of pace it needs for being a free verse.

I wonder about that very first line though, it seems slightly awkward to me. I'm also a bit confused about having the "memories..." and "forgot..." dragged out yet both put so close together (Because they're opposites?). 

blitsnik said...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 8:05 am:
Im not much of a free verse fan, but that last line blew me away. It takes a certain skill to write a free  verse poem and not lose a persons intrest. Good job, and keep up the writing.

izyfizy said...
Oh my gosh! That last line is ABSOLUTELY breathtaking (because it is SO amazingly true!)! Wow....

OceanFey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like how you structure this poem around questions - it adds meaning and a deeper message to each image. 

SamiLouThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
ooo chilling. I like how tou explain that your mask is an act of being a teen, and how you are not truly yourself right now.

bubbles.. said...
Nov. 14, 2011 at 7:22 am:
i dont care what anyone thinks this is AMAZING! i love it!

PaigeStreet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 14, 2011 at 12:26 am:

The truth is not always as poetic as you've made it here. Well done. 

I wonder if certain lines could be re-written for effect, like the "I wonder who... if I looked?" section. But even as is, its great. 

BrokenBree said...
Ilike this a lot. The last sentence: Surely it's worth knowing if they like me, or my mask, means the most to me. Awesome job.

XxMidnightKissxX said...
This is really good!!! It's like you're reading my mind.... Keep writing!

Bambi67 replied...
Nov. 13, 2011 at 5:10 pm :

love it,really enjoy reading this

Bambi67 replied...
Nov. 13, 2011 at 5:11 pm :
very good,i really enjoy reading this

Bgeek24 said...
Nov. 13, 2011 at 10:21 am:
I really like this poem. I can really relate. Actually, most people probably can. Anyway, nice job!

cookiegirl said...
Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:58 am:
Wow, this poem is so relatable and meaningful. It's well written, keep up the great work:).

ReadWriteBreathe said...
Wow I really like this. It's so true and honest. I like how the poem is written as if we're hearing your thoughts. Really nice job.

CarrieAnn13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow!  This really explains what it's like to put on a mask and be fake.  You articulate that concept very well.  My only criticism is that 'dying' should be 'dyeing.'