A Soldier's Deep Agony | Teen Ink

A Soldier's Deep Agony

By NoLover22 BRONZE, Clyde, New York
NoLover22 BRONZE, Clyde, New York

If you're born without wings, do everything you can to grow some. (Coco Chanel)

A soldier walks down the road,
Full of grief and misery.
His mind was crippled,
His body just fine,
Yet, he had been emotionally damaged.
On his face was a pure look of grimness,
For he had seen sights he wished he had never seen.
He was broken down inside,
All because of the horrors of war.
For a long time, he had wanted to go home,
Though now, he wasn’t so sure about that.
It had been a long time since he had set foot at home,
But now he was going to see his family at last.
His one true love was there as well,
Though complications between them made him wonder if he wanted to see her at all.
There was a mix of emotions within the soldier’s self,
He just felt sad too much.
Here he was, standing in front of the place he had called home since childhood.
As he was going through the door, he remembered something,
Which was, he had lived a soldier’s deep agony.

The idea for the poem was in my head before I wrote it all down, I knew it would be something I would write eventually, so I did. I was inspired to write this poem from a novel I was going to write about modern day America with a family affected by 9/11 and the War in Iraq and Afghanistan yet in the end, I changed my mind and decided to write "Dragon" instead. To me, having wrote this poem more than a year ago, I consider it one of my first major works and I hope for people to see that, as well as for the fact that this is sure to be my first of many works I hope to write whether it is poems or novels. I hope people will understand how serious of a writer I am through my work, as all of my emotion goes into everything I write, for that's who I am. I see all through my head and that's how I tend to write, for that is how I wrote "A Soldier's Deep Agony." It is a poem about a man coming home from a war and the traumatism that still remains mentally and emotionally as he has to return home to civilization following the aftermath, something I feel goes on in these tough times today, so it's more than just the writing.