Nightmares

Silence.

I hear my breath
A huffing, gasping breath
Full of fear.

Vision fails
Eyes see nothing

Nothing.

Nothing but black.

Whispers find their way
To my ears
Whisper things
Terrible things.

A chill creeps over me
Freezing my soul.

Laughter echoes
Against the insides of my skull

Creatures of darkness
Stalk me
Cruel snarls etched
On their faces

Screaming.

I know I’m screaming
But I can’t hear it

Clawing at my throat
Scratching red lines
Painting the damp stone walls
With blood.

I shudder and writhe
Against the floor
Trembling in the corner

There’s no escape
From this endless
Timeless abyss

I shut my eyes
And pray to wake up

But I’m already awake.

RedFeather said...
Yikes. This is disturbingly familiar to some of the nightmares I've had recently (except for the throat clawing, but there was blood.) Still, no matter how terrifying or odd dreams get, they are always an amazing source of inspiration for writing, but I can see that you already know that. ^_^

savetheplanet replied...
Thank you :)  My poem Lucy. the only one I've gotten an editor's choice award for was actually the product of a dream that I had.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Oh me oh my, this is the kind of darkness which doesn't want to be shared; it wants to spread like a plague across the land. Nevertheless, you shared it well, and you made it so alive, that I was frightened for several moments.

Thank goodness you woke up. :)

savetheplanet replied...
Aug. 28, 2011 at 10:21 am
LOL, yah you don't really want this kind of darkness.  ...Are you being sarcastic?  Because I was already awake in the poem... slightly confused.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oh dear, the Raven didn't mean to sound sarcastic. Only to imply that such a nightmare can be quite terrifying, and it's a blessing to wake from them.

savetheplanet replied...
Oh dear, I sounded very stupid.   Sorry, I knew that.  I was very confused... D:  Nightmares are very terrifying, especially when you think they're real while dreaming.