Reflection

I don't know who I am
And I don't know who I want to be
So where do I stand
Is this reality?
As I look in the mirror
All I see is a face
The eyes, full of fear
They feel misplaced.
But somehow everyone loves me
Just for being who I am
But who must this person be
I don't understand.
My friends depend on me
I learn I'm who they trust
But somehow I can't see
Everything is dust.
I'd walk through rainy weather
My world's upside down
My heart says,"Pull it together."
It was a deep sound.
So I'd look in the mirror
And I'd see my face
There is no more fear
It's gone some other place.
I know who I am
And I know who I'll be
Because this is where I stand
Right with my integrity.
I know everyone loves me
For being who I am
I know who I must be
My life is on demand.
My friends have my word
And I won't let them down
To them I assure
I'll make them feel proud.
Now I'll go outside
And see sprinkles splashing
Everything right side out
No walls crashing.
My heart, it spoke
And it's real proud
Then came and woke
My happy cloud.
I know who I am
And I know who'll I'll be
Because I understand
My reflection is me.

Ms. Shepard said...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 11:47 am:
It is an AMAZING poem. I was captured from the frist line to the last. Anyone can relate and it doesnt matter how old you are. I am proud of you! Keep on writing because I believe that scholars will be studing your work in the furture!

jesus said...
that is very true it is a very good poem.its good to have poem like that to make you feel better of WHO YOU ARE.

Mr. Gaver said...
Sept. 6, 2011 at 1:42 am:

I'd walk through rainy weather
My world's upside down
My heart says,"Pull it together."
It was a deep sound.

This is your paradigm shift:  'It WAS a deep sound' is the only place you used the past tense.  Everything else is in the present tense. The 'rainy weather' is symbolic of the hardest of times which you put in the past according to this stanza.  This says a lot about your character..your ability to 'pull it together' ... (more »)

DezyDee replied...
Sept. 6, 2011 at 5:40 pm :
Haha thanks and to be honest, I never knew how to climb the monkey bars... I would just watch people :)

balancescale said...
We all face fears, we all want transformation, what was the means of change, is it open to all, do you still face fears?  Great expression of your soul.  This is poetry, to capture the readers heart with the writers words and join them together in a companionship of souls.

Mrs.Sandwich said...
Mid-poem, in reference to your heart, the poem reads, "It was a deep sound".  To me, this line indicates that your heart has undergone some sort of transformation.  For me, I feel this line marks a "turn" in the poem.  What's the significance of this line to you as the author?

DezyDee replied...
Sept. 2, 2011 at 12:47 am :

For some us, we have to follow the our heart. The more we listen to it, the more our lives, attitudes, and esteem transforms into a better visual of what we see in reality. Sometimes it's the opposite, but that's the point of taking risks; to figure out what it is that makes us who we are and how we change as a person.

...Travis... This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
the repetition of "I know who I am
And I know who'll I'll be" is what makes the poem... the ending is legit. nice job

DezyDee replied...
Aug. 25, 2011 at 7:37 pm :
Thanks haha... It took me all night to come up with something good. I appriciate the feedback. Thank :)

Sylvia replied...
Aug. 29, 2011 at 4:28 pm :
Awesome poem. I enjoyed your poem and could definetly relate to your feelings, perhaps its because I have felt this way before too!  :)

marissa87 said...
wow. i love this i think it takes all the words rolling around in girls heads and puts them in a beautiful poem that i could read ten thousand times!!!! LOVEEE IITTTTT

DezyDee replied...
Aug. 25, 2011 at 7:40 pm :
Thanks haha. In the begining, I got the idea from the song "Reflection" from Mulan. Then, I decided, "This should be a writing that anybody of all ages can relate to. No matter in what situation." Thanks for the love. <3 :)

marissa87 replied...
Aug. 26, 2011 at 3:54 pm :
urrr welllcomee

SunnyWinterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This poem made me smile at the end :)

blackrose326 replied...
Aug. 24, 2011 at 12:51 pm :
It made me feel all warm inside :) Its pure beauty!

DezyDee replied...
Aug. 25, 2011 at 7:43 pm :
Thanks... It makes me feel warm inside too in a way. Knowing that I can let my feelings out that anyone can relate to. I try to put a message to it saying, "BELIVE IN YOURSELF!"