The War

Higher powers sent me a partner,
a young soldier to watch over.
Like the tide, flourishing in the moonlight,
we both grew ... as did the realization
that I am his shepherd... a live-in doctor;
my palm held his little, fragile heart.

Why send ME the newbie?!
Sadly, even I, though the commander,
was new to the field...
Doomed from the start, it then began.
One lost soldier.
Alone. Partner. Alone. End.

The battle was over. As
if reborn, the Sun brightened,
showing off his new spotlight.
However, he revealed no waving flags.
No surprises, after all, the soldier died.
Young, a budding bellflower
crushed under a foot... my foot. I
killed him. And they, from afar,
chastise. Ignorance is bliss.

Hypocrisy! Close-mindedly they spew critique.
It seems, as always, they merely choose to glance at the cover,
never noticing the multiple detailed pages behind it.
Judgment is trash, a hideous hassle.
They seem to have forgotten:
we each have our own war, unique
but equally cruel.
This war belongs to me, the commander.

Pesky! Like rabbits eating away at
the garden you so carefully plotted.
Those thunderous demands, understanding nothing,
have worn out my ears; they’ve surrendered.

Frustrating!
Have they now forgotten my position?!
But wait... did I have a position?
Was I never a commander... is it not my war?
But then... should I take the blame
when the war was never mine?
No... no. It was my battle.

One loss, one young soldier.
The commander remains, as does the war.
Again, Again...
Once. Twice. Three times. Repeat.
....Oh yeah... A war has multiple battles.
...Oh yeah... I brought on this war...

The digital clock keeps changing,
occasionally releasing a beep or two.
But why does the view remain constant?
I watch each sunrise, one after another.
Hughes of pinks amongst the sun:
ruby, magenta, fuchsia...
Same colors, same processes.

The battle’s over.
They gave me a partner, a young soldier to watch over.
My palm held his heart, little and fragile.
One lost soldier.
Yes, my ears wore out, but my mind now knows
I am the commander and this war is mine.
The heart remains, so does the pain, as
I am in war.... constantly, in war.

I do miss him, that soldier I never knew;
but, one battle just leads to the next. This is war.
So prepare the cake, for now I’m coming home.
My home, from my war, my own hero.
Alone. Partner. Alone. End.

never_know_me said...
I think that it might have something to do with a younger sibling who is very sick, and the older sibling who feels powerless to help trying to save him/her, then trying to deal with his/her death. I might be way off, but that's the impression I got. Whatever the meaning, this is a very good piece, with strong language and great imagery.

PeNfReAk10 said...
I believe that it has to do with something between a force of nature that compels someone to fight against himself. Am i right?

Angelgir39 said...
the first thing I thought of was maybe getting forced to watch over a new kid at school or something, but maybe its something like being forced to love someone or like someone you may not like very much? I dunno. Anyways,really great poem.

tealbird said...
Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:27 am
Hmmm...what is this poem about??? At first I thought that this was a poem about maybe love, and the fact that love was a battlefield, but then I was like noooo....then I thought it was about the battle between family, but then you talked about death, so I thought that couldn't be it...I'm stumped! It's really good though!

daph199 replied...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:51 am
ahh! you got closer than anybody else just by saying one thing!! not telling you what that thing was though ;) glad you liked it!

zuez98 said...
okay i think i got it the war is really goin on inside him and the person hers fighting is himself and he had to sacrifice part of his inner being to be better off in the end

daph199number2 replied...
nope. but hey. how's this? if enough people comment on this, I will give one crucial hint to help steer readers towards what the actual theme was when I wrote it. however, i LOVE your interpretation of it. keep that. value it. that's exactly what i wanted to accomplish. multiple interpretations of one poem. that's so cool. thanks for being so interested in it! i appreciate it so much :)

zuez98 replied...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:14 am
thank you for writing this

Shmelmo said...
Thanks for the comment on my poem! hmm... I think this poem could have different meanings to different people. To me - this guy was at war with himself. Always second guessing and alone. I really like the way you wrote it - the reader has to think about it to figure out what it means to him/her. Nicely done!

B-Artistic said...
Jan. 25, 2012 at 1:33 am
Awesome.........great........but still i got a blurred idea from this, not much clear... well the line.. "Hypocrisy! Close-mindedly they spew critique. It seems, as always, they merely choose to glance at the cover," are you referring here to the higher powers (God)...? pls explain.. and once again it was awesome..!

daph199number2 replied...
nope. the higher powers were only mentioned once. in the very beginning. and they were the ones who sent the "partner". so i leave it up to the reader to decide what "higher powers" means. However, the higher powers are NOT the ones, or is not the person, that is spewing critique. and i know this is a very vague response. but i have a strange way of writing. the way i write is for it to be verrrry vague so it's hard to understand and if you somehow manage to understand what i meant in my poem th... (more »)

artmantist said...
lovely poem, i like ur writing style, i enjoyed it through the whole poem, i like the mystery, kinda hiding things in ur poem, it makes ma think abt so much thngs, very nice

zuez98 said...
and so the man goes at war with himself

daph199 replied...
i like how you figured out that he goes to war with himself!! but you're still a little off :) thanks for the comment:D

zuez98 said...
woah bro thats cool is it about a man who didnt think the newb could make and would het him killed so he killed the newb himself but reall good

daph199 replied...
nope!!! but I could see how you came up with that!! I would tell you what it really was, and you would be shocked, but I don't want to give it away for other people who read it later. I'm glad that you liked it though :)

BrightBurningCampeador This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I have absolutely no idea what this is about, but it is AWESOME! Oh, and "hughes" is really spelled "hues".

daph199 replied...

ahaha wooops :P

thanks for reading hehe:)

Kidsnurse said...
Aug. 24, 2011 at 10:33 am
This was an awesome piece, thanks for the share.

catch2 replied...
Sept. 1, 2011 at 11:57 am
This was great!! but sorry i have no guesses. But it was really good.