Steps to Believing

Shut your eyes and choke as you swallow it whole.
Let it settle in your stomach and squirm in your soul.
It will fill you from the heart and you can displace
what causes the destruction of the human race.
Open your eyes and gag it back up,
for swallowing blindly is never enough.
Ponder and stretch it but don’t test Him out.
Drink it with faith; He needs not your doubt.
Sweat it away when times get tough,
then see that he made you, like Him, a diamond in the rough.
Finally it fills you whole and you’ll sink in it too;
bathe in His Love and absorb it into you.

Eno-BladezThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 21, 2011 at 11:49 am
i hate to admit it but i'm not religious at all. i haven't been to church in almost five years and i really loved this.

NinjaGirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 21, 2011 at 11:49 am
I like the title :) Your word choice is interesting and flows nicely. Wonderful job! Maybe you could check out some of my work sometime? :)

snaomi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm not very religious, but I really really like this poem.  It's not pushy, but it describes really well the process of getting in touch with faith.  Nice :)

Isawyouyesterday said...
I loved this! You're impressive to be able to, for lack of better words, spit this out, and have it be so fluid and so vivid.

Polyxena_Nyx replied...
Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:11 am
Thanks a lot! This is the first time I've posted poetry on the internet so it's reassuring that it's actually likeable.

spitfire213 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:36 am
I'm not super religious, but i love the visual affect the description evokes. good work!

Polyxena_Nyx replied...
Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:09 am
I'm so glad you liked it! I wasn't sure about posting it and I'm glad even those not especially religious can get something out of it.