Dream Poem

Dust from a far-away attic
Clings to me.
Snail-lapped mists carry me up
And up, to pleasant, honeyed sunshine.

Short grass, bare feet, dew.
I walk this path of my dreams:
Drink this dark, sweet water.

Now I am falling...
Down into Autumn-inched roots,
Down into neon-lit Medieval times.

The path is hard, though my feet are nowhere.
Wind threads a lavender field
With whispers I cannot catch;
Those flowers are sweeter in color than smell.

Here I stand, his eyes (so young) catch mine.
Red and black, medals, a gun.
You are of my dream - my imagining...
Why does violence simmer in your eyes?

I must leave you now.
I must flee from this metal city -
A factory of stars.
I must to not see that cloaked merchant,
those cows ambling in their field.
I turn from you - dream boy.
I rise into dust from a far-away attic.

Ayme. said...

just like dream...

I can really relate to it

Ahmad-Mobeen said...
Jan. 17, 2012 at 11:30 am
You write really really well! =) It's dreamy and breath-taking! =)

Sophie Rose C. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 20, 2012 at 12:25 am
thank you Ahmad! You are most kind.

HazelNutBee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
so wonderful, it felt like Alice in Wonderland mixed with every dream I've ever had. I loved your use of colors, they were unassuming yet always present to give detail. Great job!(:

dancestar said...
tht was very good imagery! great job! please check out sum of my other work like "Girl Next Door" and a piece that is pending publishing "A Love Unreciprocated" Thanks! and keep writing!

Harebelle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This feels very...well...dreamy, in a  nice way. The details you mention are beautiful, especially 'snail-lapped mist'. Keep writing!

Cello_girllll This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i really like the ideas and the way it flows :) i also like the way it goes from being a dream to a nightmare (right?) anyway, i love it!!

Aug. 16, 2011 at 10:36 am
Thank you! and yes - the poem does kind of 'regress' into a place that one must hastily escape. A nightmare

Regs_the_Shorty said...
Since you commented on mine I decided to comment on your poem. I liked the poem alot and I hope that you are submiting more poems!

Blue4 said...
Aug. 14, 2011 at 10:08 am
By no means do I claim to be a poetry critic, but your poem is very nice. It was very descriptive, the imagery was lovely. It did have a sort of vague feeling, I got the sense, though that the soldier was not the central figure because of all the words you spent describing other things, and gave so little to the soldier. Was that your intention?

Violet123 replied...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 9:51 am

thank you for your kind and helpful words!

My intention with the soldier... well, he was just THERE, I think. the whole poem is like a journey through parts of my own mind - the soldier a disturbing... yet complex feature of that. but really, I'm not entirely sure