Lines of Sight

When you’re the youngest of the family
A midget next to all
You look up to everyone
As they walk proud and tall

But since you’re the youngest
They grow up before you do
One by one moving away
As you wait til you can too

First you let go of siblings
As they go away to college
Moving into dorms
In search of dreams and knowledge

Then you let go of parents
When you finally turn eighteen
Going out to conquer the world
As the new king or queen

Then come the weddings
When they find that special someone
You have to share your older brother
Since his new life has begun

Next are the funerals
When the older generations pass away
You live all alone now
With no one to share the day

By now you’re used to the loss
The pain and the sorrow
You forgot about the part
Where life gives a new tomorrow

Perhaps you’ve found your partner
Hope to start a family
Together you chase your dreams
To stars across the galaxy

Now as your children leave
Come back the pain and sorrow
You remember all the times you had
Although it seems an age ago

You realize now if you hadn’t lost them
Your parents, siblings, and kids
You wouldn’t know how much they meant to you
As life ebbs from your wrinkled eyelids

Sarah1311 said...
Beautful. :)

savetheplanetThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 21, 2011 at 12:12 am :
Aw, thanks. :D

DestineeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:05 am:
This is sooo good! My sister recently moved out and I can relate so much. 

The last two lines, I think, could flow a bit better. Maybe something like "You wouldn't know how much they meant/To you this dying day"? 

But then again, "day" doesn't rhyme with "kids". Haha.

Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:14 pm :
Yah that doesn't exactly flow better! LOL.  Your sister moved out?  College?  How are you dealing with that?

DestineeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 21, 2011 at 12:05 am :
Naw, marriage. It's okay. We meet her like every week, so I don't mind much. :) 

Aug. 21, 2011 at 12:18 am :
Oh wow, congratulations!  My brother recently got engaged so I kinda know the feeling.

Aug. 21, 2011 at 12:41 am :
Wow!! Congratulations dude! May he have a lovely married life. :)

Aug. 21, 2011 at 12:43 am :
Yah I hope so, I really like his fiance too.

Aderes18This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
LOVE THIS POEM! 

First of all, this is a very great poem! It reminds me of Shel Silverstein, it's that great! You're extremely talented! :) 

I can still relate to this poem even though I am the oldest child. 

Everyone in my family is much older than me, on my father's side, my cousins are much older than me. 

On my mother's side, there isn't many young people, everyone's from the Baby Boomer generation or older so I've always felt like the baby of the family!

And rec... (more »)

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
The meter, itself, was (in my modest opinion) a little off; so the poem didn't read so easily. But I still liked "Lines of Sight" very much, because I could relate to it. It reminded me a bit of Tom Hanks at the end of The Green Mile, until the end of the poem, when your wisdom was presented to the reader. :)

Aderes18This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 5:27 pm :

A lot of your poetry reminds me of       The Green Mile and I've fell like I've said that to you but when I checked your work for the comments I've written, it doesn't come up. :(

So let me read your poetry again and let me see if that thought still comes up! 

Aug. 12, 2011 at 2:16 pm :
The Green Mile was on TNT yesterday, what a confidence! I didn't get to watch it though, nobody else wanted to watch it but me! 

IamtheshyStargirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

I really wonder sometimes what it's like to live in a family as the youngest of eight children, as my littlest sister does. 

This poem is beautiful, though I don't think your point came across too well. It was a joy to read anyway, keep on writing, I look forward to reading more and more of your work, savetheplanet :)

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 2:02 pm :
My goodness, Stargirl, eight children?

Aug. 11, 2011 at 5:34 pm :

Wow! I can't believe you have seven brothers and sisters!

That's a lot.... that must be nice, you must never get lonely! But that also must be hard because you always have to take care of them. 

I only have one younger sister so...

I once knew a family in 1st grade where there were nine siblings. The mother had to take care of all of them because the father just died of a freak heart attack. They were new at my school and they were very nice. I used to always play wi... (more »)

IamtheshyStargirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 8:17 pm :

I do love it, and honestly, they don't seem like a lot to me, or my mother either :) It is pretty hard to get lonely. I think I've really matured faster than maybe I would have in a smaller family. 

That sounds really hard. We had some old family friends with twelve kids, they were awesome :) Their parents got divorced a few years ago, though, that was awful. 

Aug. 11, 2011 at 9:47 pm :

I think it's harder in a family where there are much more children and the parents divorce, because it changes the family dynamics so much more drastically. 

That's great! :)

Aug. 13, 2011 at 1:06 pm :

I really appreciat all of the comments and thanks for the support! :D

Raven:

I have some trouble with meter, it's like the bane of my existence really.  :D  It just always seems to get in the way of writing poetry.

Stargirl:

I can totally relate, I mean my family is quite small,but both my parent's families are huge.  I have so many aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, and nephews that ... (more »)

Aug. 13, 2011 at 2:06 pm :
What about me, Savetheplanet?