Abominations

Abominations

There are monsters in my closet,

Fiends,

Menaces.
They terrorize me once a week.

They wait for the chance,

Lurking,

Hiding,
Biding their time for revenge.

They stalk the dark,
Filling my dreams with horrors,

Gruesome thoughts,

Relentless fear.

One sits on a hanger,

Its nest,

Its lair,
Ready to squeeze:
An anaconda.

One waits in a box,
Submerged in the shadows,
Ready to swallow,

To gnaw,

To feed:
An alligator.

One hangs on a peg,
Long and lithe,
Ready to choke and suffocate:
A garrote.

I long to be rid of them,

To hide from them.
But they pervade my sleep,
Turning my fantasies to nightmares.

I try to run away,

To flee the scene.
Yet they force me, compel me . . .
To wear them to church.

Kiki_McGeeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 3, 2012 at 12:30 am:
Hahaha! I must admit that I got a bit of a kick out of this one! All that suspense built up around the monsters and then... BOOM, you had to wear them to church! I definitely understand that feeling!

8tephanieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
When I first saw your thread about hard-core comments on everyone's poetry I was very skeptical that you would be one of those that criticizes others when their poems aren't anything to gloat about. But you're really fantastic!  Definitely a 5/5!

Eirias replied...
Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:26 pm :

Well, as far as I'm concerned, my poems AREN'T anything to gloat about . . . but that doesn't mean I can't give good criticism. One of my chess teachers--his rating is actually lower than mine, but he's just a much better teacher than player. He actually coached one of the nations junior champions.

If anything, I'm more proud of my editing skills than my writing ability. I'm probably more likely to be an editor than a writer. What's most important is that I'll actually give a real crit... (more »)

Behind_a_Plastic_Smile said...
Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:38 am:
haha! love it 5/5 so intese the rise all leading up to that last line, just gold 

Josika.Nav said...
Jun. 11, 2012 at 8:17 am:
hey! nice one. i like the whole concept of the poem and its choppiness. ...although at one point i felt that the emotion was forced. but apart from that: great work and keep writing :D

Erias said...
And he/she did it again!!!! This is not cool!

JerseyGirl716 replied...
Aug. 4, 2011 at 7:30 pm :
This is absolutely HYSTERICAL! That last line=gold. Yet another awesome job, FIVE stars!

Eirias said...
Hey! Whoever gave this a 1 out of 5 stars should have the courtesy of telling my why!

JoPepperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 5:10 pm :
They should!!!!!  But I thought it was great!!!!!!! :)

Eirias replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 6:44 pm :
Thanks! I wonder if they (sorry, that's bad grammar--maybe he, but then it seems like most of you active people are female, but would that negate the assumed masculine rule?) just wanted to ruin the poem's rating . . . or maybe he/she was mad because I didn't give their poem a good review, even though my policy is not to rate unless I can give them a 5.

Aug. 4, 2011 at 5:32 pm :
Maybe, that's usually my policy if I rate it lower than 4 then I explain why!!! How did you get your work submitted within one day!!!!!!! ;D

TwasBrilling said...
Nice ending! I though it was some sort of teen-angst peom...(I really hate those) but it turned out to be humorous!

xXx_Fox_xXxThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I lovw the last line. This poem is extremely creative and orginal. I LOVE it. Do you mind if I add it to favorites?

Eirias replied...
Aug. 2, 2011 at 5:34 pm :
Please, by all means add it to favorites! Thanks!

flawless200This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 10:45 am :
I like it!!