Shattered Mirror

I once looked at others with envy
My mother would tell me that I am looking through
A
Cloud
Of
Dust

“You’re the one with blinding beauty”
She would murmur,
Day after day
Night after night
But when she left
Who was there to tell me?

Now when I look at myself in the mirror
I see that my mother was truly right.
I am beautiful.

I realize
That before
I was always looking at my face in
A
Shattered
Mirror

I can now conclude that:
My vision was once distorted,
My perception was once clouded,
And my insight was once tainted.

What’s sad is that it took
My mother’s empty spot
For me to apprehend it.

emanmkhan said...
Aug. 27, 2011 at 11:50 am:
This is pure beautiful. I love your writing ability. Your talent extends to all horizons. Keep up the good work!

Vicky11 said...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 6:17 am:
I totally agree with you, and I think this poem has a great message, and is well written. We all need to realise that we are beautiful sometime, sadly some people never do.

LadyJaneGreyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 9:59 pm:
This was great! This is the exact kind of poetry-writing ability I'm jealous of. I liked how some of your lines seemed jagged, like the shattered mirror, and the ending was beautifully sad. My only problem is that the word "apprehend" in the last line doesn't really make sense with its conventional definition, but it doesn't detract from the piece as a whole. Great job!

shadowriderThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 10:55 pm:

This is a great poem! In the beginning the flow is kind of off, with long and then really short lines, but I think that's what you were going for. 

I really like the stanza that goes:

"My vision was once distorted,

My perception was once clouded,

And my insight was once tainted."

Great description! Keep up the good work! The message in this poem was wonderful and well put, you are completely right about distorte... (more »)