A Single Silk Scarf | Teen Ink

A Single Silk Scarf

By Mackenzie29 SILVER, Hamilton, Other
Mackenzie29 SILVER, Hamilton, Other

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

The scarf sways in the wind, a single reminder drifting off to the clouds above.
The silky fabric flaps against her pale skin, blending with the colours of the setting sun, as it is carried higher by her graceful white wings
Her hair still set in curls
The rose still placed behind her ear
The scarf still tied around her neck
Hiding the purple bruises
The wind catches her newly found wings and she is off
No longer bound to the ground by invisible chains
Off towards her new home in the clouds
Where she will live in peace
Away from the whispers in the school hall
Away from the lying, cheating, betraying world below
To a place where she can live without fear of what tomorrow will bring
Out of the shadow of her self
Where her secrets can be her own and a single scarf is nothing more than warmth
But as we watch the silk drift farther and farther up towards the blinding castle in the sky
We know it will always represent so much more
That the bruises on her neck weren’t caused by any hands but her own
And whenever we see a scarf we will always think back to the life that was ended much too young
And we will remember every breath she took
And most of all
We will miss her

This piece was inspired by a true event, may you forever rest in peace.

No problem Kenz! You are just such a greattt Writer/Illustrater/Cousin! I loved ALL of your other stories as well and cannot wait to see you this weekend girl! I love you xoxo :) <3

Mackenzie29 SILVER, Hamilton, Other

Thanks for such an amazing comment :) Its very inspiring to hear such praise for something that i wrote!!! i hope that one day i am famous...that is one of my biggest goals, to finally have my writing published would be truly amazing!

radar7 said...
on Jul. 24 2011 at 9:58 am
agreed, some people in this world bully because of what happens at home but sometime not. but even if stuff happens at home, there should be like a website or something that teens(bullies) can trust and rely on it. people who are being bullied have a help line, why shouldn't the bullies have one. dont get me wrong, I wish that there was no reason for the stuff they do. the ones who get bullied tell who is bullying them and then the bully gets yelled at and yelling is never the answer. lol look at me going on about this stuff anyways-before i get carried away-im having a great time in europe. i will tell lindsey to give you my email. ttys, sys :)

That poem was just soo sad but it's very inspiring, touching and it moved me. I think your work is amazing and I can't wait 'till the day when you are famous.. Make sure to continue what you are doing because you are soo talented and I am just so in love with all your work. Everytime I read one of your stories, I am just so proud of you and love you soo much! Your talent will bring you places and you will make millions I'm sure one day! :P Keep up the good work Kenzer, love youuuuuu xoxoxoxoxoxo <3 :)

Mackenzie29 SILVER, Hamilton, Other

Thankksss a lottt :) i really do hope that lots and lots of people can read this and that this story didn't have to be based on a true story...and anyone who has ever done anything can just realize that its stupid and move on with their own life rather than tormenting others

radar7 said...

This poem is sad yet well written. I hope it is seen world wide for others to know what happens once in a position as was this young girl; bullying hurts.

Mackenzie, touching and beautiful poem.