Unlocked

He munches on his hay, reflecting.
Those eyes have seen and done the same for years.
And those eyes have lusted for adventure.
As he ponders this, he kicks up dust from the dirt floor
and nudges the stall door hopefully.
But wait- the door is unlocked,
as if the master knew his time at the barn was done.
The wind picked up and opened the door wide,
inviting for escape.
Uneasily, he steps forward and looks back at the hay.
He takes one last chew and then strolls out of the stall
and about the barn.
At last, he reaches the gate and looks into the distance.
Anxious to leave his master and
to see what lies beyond the gates of home,
He backs up and runs toward the barriers that had so long withheld him,
and jumps gallantly over them.
He stops once over and feels the breeze against his mane.
This is the last chance to go back.
But he mustn’t look back.
He raises his head proud,
the wind picking up his tawny mane,
and gallops into the night.

daniskate416 said...
Aww Cat! This is so sweet! :D I bet your brother loved it

AlaskaFrost This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
thanks again!! and yes he actually did lol was not expecting that. he doesn't usually express himself, but he said that it was "actually pretty good" which is quite the compliment from him haha

Im--NOT--Rayyn said...
You are really good at describing horses! I think it's really sweet how you related it to your brother (and cool that his name means lover of horses!) like that. In a sense, you know it's about a horse, yet it still works for people.

. said...
Wow. I love this poem! Great imagery!

thank so much!!

Br33na said...
this is really good an truly shares what it feels like to leave home + reminds me of somthing my horsey Laredo would do :p hes a pain in the but smtimes :) but this is really good Keep writeing an I'll keep reading :)

thank you so much!! :D

is there anything in particular of yours you would like me to read?

dark_armor1This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
ur really good at wriitting ! i love this one as well!

Oh my gosh thank you so much!!! (again) :D

snaomi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like this poem because at first glance, it's a relatively simple poem about horses, but if you look deeper, it also is a message about taking the chance when you have it, even if it means a risk (perfect metaphor for your brother's graduation)

Thanks so much (again)!!!

MoraleAsh said...
I really like horses. This poem makes me think about how they might be feeling and that's really creative!

MagicMan2011 said...
I really liked this poem and I've always like stories about breaking away. Good job!

Thanks again!!! :D