Army Miracles

For most
When they look up at the sun,
It beams
And shines onto their faces
As light slips into the
Tiniest nooks
And crevices.

It takes its time until it
Finally
Slithers into their closed eyes
And turns their
Whole
World
Orange

But when I look up at the sun
I can’t help but
Look
The other
Way
And hope to see the soft silhouette
Of the faded but
Prominent,
Gray moon
Struggling to outshine the sun
When the sky is blue
And not tainted with
Darkness

At times when I do catch that
Effervescent moon
I know my father is in his army tent
Looking up at it too
Thinking that oddities
Can truly happen

But I know
What he really wishes
When he sees that
Silvery
Moon.

He longs
To come home,
Watch it with his daughter,
Laugh alongside her,
And say in unison
That miracles really do
Come along

LadyJaneGrey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was awesome. My dad was in the military, and I think you captured the emotions really well. 

Dr.SunbalSunnyGirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 24 at 7:27 pm
Hey there, This is an amazing poem, though my father is not in the army, I have a frend who graduated two years ago, who is in the army. I miss him everyday,  I have yet to write him again though I have only wroten him only a few time. I understand what your going through or went through. I love this a lot.

shadowrider said...
This is great, with wonderful description and a wonderful message! Amazing piece! You really struck home with me!

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is so good, i really like it, its so emotional and moving, i'm sure your mom is very proud of this piece! good work! 5/5

white_chocolate97 said...
This was amazing!! I really liked the emotions you put into it and your word choice. Great work!!

NinjaGirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:21 am
I believe I've already commented on this once before, but I still love it. :P You really need to get more up on the site!

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 1:00 am
Wow. This is very, very good. :) I honestly think it's amazing!!! I mean, it's so simple, yet the emotion you put into this really means something. I love it.

WritingSpasms said...
I really do like all the emotion you put into this. It's beautifully written and you were very descriptive. Keep it up :)

CarrieAnn13 said...
Very beautiful and very simple poem!  I love the emotions and the rhythm of it.  Excellent work! :)

PaRaNoRmAl627 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is extremely powerful. and i love the word effervescent :) i also liked the rhythm. it was different and really cool to read. did you ever think about putting it to music?

booklover04 replied...
i never thought of the poem as song lyrics...now that you mention it i can hear some harmony playing inside my head when i read it lol :)

pics-with-no-paint said...
Wow this is really powerful and beautifully written. Love the simplicity, it really makes you think.

vzimmerman said...
Taking about a family with a loved one in the army is great because so many people can relate to it. It really hits the heart. Great Job! Keep Writing:)

TheSilverLaurel said...
this is really emotional, and has a very deep meaning. Keep up the great work

kat2.0 said...
Really great poem it was very good especially the way it was spaced

YesThatsWhyTheyFly said...
I really liked this poem. very good vocabulary!

poetry<3 said...
nice feel annd flow to the poem. most importantly like the moral behind it :)

Delictious said...
Love the description and message of the poem, very nice! I really liked you rhyming faces with crevices, I thought that was great and really creative!
I also loved how the story changed from a kind of happy feel about the sun to something serious, great tone change there as well. 

samiasaskia24 said...
beautiful love all the descriptions!

Laina13 said...
I really love this poem. It really touches something in me because my father is in the army and so is my step mother.