French Braiding This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

My best friend taught me how to French braid
although truthfully I'm still pretty bad at it
I sit behind my sister, mindlessly crossing sections of hair
my cat plots our demise from the foot of my bed

I wonder if when he's all alone, in the middle of a song
he closes his eyes and thinks of me
Taylor Swift blares from our speaker
“I was enchanted to meet you.”

The sun bleeds through my blinds
making the room stifling hot since our A/C's out
I cut my leg shaving yesterday rather badly
I make a mental note to re-bandage it

When does Doctor Who premier for the fall?
I don't remember but it's too long,
a forgotten, lost watch beeps from somewhere in the room
“Please don't be in love with someone else.”

I went out driving again today
no curb-jumping this time
I'm lost and not found
someone find me or please just remember me

It's Bruno Mars now
“She looks beautiful
and I tell her every day.”
I want someone to tell me I look beautiful every day.

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like what half.note said about your poem being vague and meaningful. I felt like I could relate to the speaker in that she thought of the everyday things and the leaps her brain made as she braided her sister's hair.

half.noteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 4, 2012 at 10:44 am
It was great! Poetry should be vague yet meaningful and you really brought that through. It was interesting and I was captivated the whole time.

raindance72 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 29, 2011 at 10:04 am
I loved this. You brought together random bits and pieces of emotion and distraction from your braiding, and it all came together at the end when it seemed the flash of notes and thoughts was over. I wish though, that the last line was a little less obvious, maybe "I want someone to tell me that, every day". Overall I loved this! It certainly earned its spot in the magazine. :)