A Respectful Poem

Imagine a place
Where no one feels hurt
No one is left out
No bullies can be found
Everyone shows respect
And is given respect in return

There are no thieves
When we have respect for belongings
There is no cheating
When we have respect for ourselves
And our learning
There are no tears
When we show respect for each other

All because of respect

If we had a place
In a school, or the world
Where everyone showed respect
That would be a wonderful thing
A land of opportunity
We could do that

Just make an effort
A little more each day
Simply smile, say hello
To each person that you meet
Respect can change the world
You can help
You can make a difference
Just be kind
Show respect

these-roses said...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:55 am:
i love it!

Toyin said...
this is a beautiful poem

msn9896 said...
I like this :) funny, a poem i just wrote has a similar theme. I'm hoping to post it soon. Very well written. Well done!

BrightBurningCampeadorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I love it! Respect is definitely the key to a good society. I like your rhythm and language. I wouldn't change a thing about this poem.

I'm from Portland OR too. What part of the city do you live in? I'm in Southeast.

writeamongthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 3, 2011 at 5:46 pm :
Thanks! I have a Portland address but I don't actually live in the city.

Oct. 8, 2011 at 3:08 pm :
Did you see the protest?

LaceeJade This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Agreed 100% on this one.

Good job! Loved  it!

Oct. 3, 2011 at 5:46 pm :
Thank you so much!

AgnotTheOdd said...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 8:30 pm:

This is an easy subject to be cheesy with, but luckily, it seemed like you grated it all out (now that was cheesy!)

the meter, once again, flows very nicely.  The only part that felt a little awkward or out of place was the single line stanza, "All because of respect"

Nevertheless, this poem should be taken on its sentimental value rather than its technical value and I think that you struck a chord with a lot of people.  Its easy to say show respect, but harder to prac... (more »)

Aug. 18, 2011 at 5:40 pm :
Yeah, that single line stanza I wasn't really sure about. I think it was there for emphasis, but I don't know if it's poetically correct, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I'm glad you think it's not cheesy. :)

musicispassion said...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 10:44 pm:
what grade r u in?it's not cheesy or anything your right a simple hello everyday could change the world great poem :P

Jul. 25, 2011 at 11:01 pm :
Thanks. I wrote it in 8th grade, but now I'm going into 11th.

musicispassion replied...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 11:14 pm :
i knew it i'm goiong into eight and last year we did a lot of poetry and my teacher says we do a lot in 8th

Jul. 26, 2011 at 6:06 pm :
lol nice! Have fun with that.

writeamongthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 10, 2011 at 6:46 pm:
This was a school assignment. I didn't like it very much.

KatrinaCampbell replied...
Jul. 15, 2011 at 7:15 pm :
You may not have liked it, but I did :) The poem was simple, but it made such a strong point!

Jul. 15, 2011 at 9:14 pm :
Thanks! I wrote it a long time ago and as I was looking over it again before submitting it I felt like it was a little cheesy or something. It's nice to hear that it's not as bad as I worried it would be.