Freedom | Teen Ink

Freedom

By Adira_Strong BRONZE, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Adira_Strong BRONZE, Oshkosh, Wisconsin

"i've learned people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"

It’s dark and cold. The wind strikes my face hard. I close my eyes tight to keep the tears from falling. Feels like I’m being stabbed by a sharp knife as my knees hit the hard concrete floor. I open my eyes, the tears start to run, they come in a down pour. I use all my strength to stand from the ground. I ran, I ran as fast as I could, as far as I could. I’m getting nowhere. It’s darker and darker, colder and colder. My tears still running, my knees throbbing, as if a heartbeat is inside of them. It hit me, it hit me hard. I couldn’t breathe, I’m gasping for air, I felt like I was drowning. I wanted to give up, I couldn’t take it anymore, I can’t. I closed my eyes, took a long deep breath. I said to myself, “you can”. I opened my eyes one last time, and there was the door. I opened it, and closed it behind me. The sun was shining, the air felt warm. My tears stopped running, my knees stopped throbbing. My heart felt loved. I was free, I’m free. Freedom.

"For anyone going through a hard time, you can get out. Just BELIEVE."