When.. | Teen Ink

When..

By kossi BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
kossi BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado

“When I had no idea how to ride a bicycle, I had him over my shoulder telling me I could do it if I just……

When I got my first black eye and cried like a little girl for hours, guess who got me Big red boxing gloves turning me into “golden Gloves!”?

When I thought girls had cooties and were gross, and out of nowhere started thinking they were cute and I wanted to be around them more, and didn’t know why, he was there explain every little detail to me even though it took all night.

When I had my first crush and was lost out of my mind, he was there and made sure I knew exactly what to do!

When my friends started doing drugs, and I joined them thinking it was perfectly fine, there he was telling me every little thing that can happen to me making me regretting it!!!

When I started to have sex, and thought condoms would prevent me from STD’s, STI’s, getting a girl pregnant, man I was wrong!!! He was right next door with every book in the world on what can go wrong with condoms!!!

When I had all the reasons why I don’t belong in this world and wanted to kill myself, he came around and gave me all the reasons why I should stay in this world and how I can make the reasons why I shouldn’t be in this world disappear!

When I wanted to drop out of high school, he asked me where that was going to get me in life and showed me how I could end up and how my life would be, and that was the last place I wanted to be!

When I was ready to leave home, he made sure I left home a man!!! A better man that he was!!!”

Who is this man, he is my dad!!! Somewhere out there, there is a man, waiting to make a decision to have a child and leave!!! And I really hope that man is not you!!!
I grew up with both my mom and a dad, so I know how important is to have both parents in my life. I’m going to make sure my kids no matter what someday will always have me!!
If you grew up without a dad, then you should know how hard it is and you shouldn’t make the same mistake he did!!! Be the better man and did what you supposedly dad didn’t do…..be there for your kids!
No matter what kind of home you came from, I hope you realize the importance of having a father in a Childs life and do the right thing…..Be there for your children and their mother!!!