They Wound Us | Teen Ink

They Wound Us

June 15, 2011
By Evanesce_into_the_Darkness SILVER, Middletown, Ohio
Evanesce_into_the_Darkness SILVER, Middletown, Ohio
5 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." ~Oscar Wilde


Why is it they hold so much power over us?
We try so hard to ignore them but they still attack.

Nothing we say seems to affect their cold hearts and we are left wondering if we are the only ones who truly feel.

The hate and anger we feel is hidden so carefully behind our masks.


But each stab lessens our already faint grip on reality.

Why is it no matter how deep they cut their smirks and sneers never falter?

They leave us so vulnerable.
















Not only to creatures like them, to the people who are supposed to care, even to ourselves.

We retreat further within ourselves seeking refuge inside our shells, but even in the darkest corner of our minds we can’t escape them completely.

The people who are supposed to care rip open the slow healing wounds and the feeling they give us return in a flood.

They do nothing but inflict pain with their cruel laughter and vicious lies and we don’t have the power to stop them.

We are left alone grieving the loss of delusion, and fighting off the harshness of reality.

We are left to bandage the still bleeding wounds left by their knives.

We are alone and nothing anyone does will ever change it.