Does it matter to you? | Teen Ink

Does it matter to you?

By Jordynn BRONZE, Camarillo, California
Jordynn BRONZE, Camarillo, California

I'm 63 years old going to see my first Grandchild
A little angel in the hospital waiting to meet his Grandma
I'm doing the speed limit , it's warm outside, windows are down
you come up behind me texting on your phone you look up at the last minuet
I guess you cant go 80 and text...now I have to meet my grandchild in heaven
does it matter to you?

I'm a 37 year old man, I just got released from prison serving a 20 year sentence.
I was released 12 years early because they found out im Innocent..I have another chance at life
I'm going to see my family, my wife, three daughters and my boy I never got to meet.
It's raining out, it's chilly...I stop at a red light it then turns green I'm hit by a car running their light
my car flips and flips until I am no longer alive to count how many times until it stopped..I'll never meet my little boy...I'll never get my second chance
does it matter to you?

I am a single mother of a 5 year old boy, two 3 year old twin boys and another baby one on the way
coming home from a doctors appointment where I found out I'm having a girl
talking to my sons while we drive down the freeway about what their baby sisters name should be
as we come to a conclusion we will name her after their Grandma who passed away before they were born. As my boy says I wish I could have met her the other screams “MOMMY!” a drunk driver crosses the yellow line. My sons never got to meet their little sister and lost their mommy..God did bless them though..they got to live. Does it matter to you?

I'm a 22 year old solider..I just returned from Iraq and I was on my way to get married to my beautiful Fiancée of 4 years. We we're to get married the place I proposed..the place we grew up. I park out in front of the church..I hear the bell ring as it is almost time for us to share our vows I smile and thank God for bringing me home safety so I could share the rest if my life with my best friend. I step out of the car and everything goes black. Now two crosses one with my name sits outside the church and my Fiancée cries there every night...bet you thought you were invincible driving that fast and on the phone..didn't you? Bet you thought you would never take someones life... Does it matter to you?

Everyday..we get to watch out families grow up..succeed, excell, laugh, cry, start families of their own..but we don't watch it down there with them..We are up here with God and the angels and we smile down at them thinking “If only that girl wasn't texting..if only those men weren't drunk..if only that teenage boy answered his phone just ten seconds later...would we still be there?” Think about the consequences..be safe..cherish life...Think, “ Does it matter to me.”