Lara's Broken Silence | Teen Ink

Lara's Broken Silence

By LeahTW GOLD, Port Washington, New York
LeahTW GOLD, Port Washington, New York

They were pulling me like a rubber band, stretching me, despite my screams.
My shining beacon of hope began to dull, a blinking light that slowly faded into darkness, the hand of my partner who couldn’t save me, because instead of my arm, my shredded sleeve lay in his hand.
Let them finish you, you’re done I thought, and I could see it in his eyes that he knew it was over too.
Invasion was the only feeling I had once the pain was too much to feel
They assaulted me, they were in celebration
I was helping you; I was sharing your story of success and wonder, of revolution
Why must you rip everything from me and strip me, down to the bareness of my bones?
Exposed to the world, and violated, my bare bones, a heap of rubble, was all that was left when he let go of me
I thought of them, of my little angels, sitting at home safe and warm
Wrapped in their blankets
What would my angels do if I let the men take my body?
I just gave up so easily, that was the best I could do, they tore chunks from my skull, and I could not protest.
I couldn’t feel the flagpole beating down on me, because the invasion was to horrid
They’ve already raped me, but I can breathe, I can think.
I can still think of her big blue eyes and his little nose,
I had to get back, and so I let the invasion take its course, protesting at any and every chance that I got
I guess I’m still here because of my angels, but I didn’t earn this second chance
I was so close to accepting “I’m going to die painfully,” what would they have done?
So I share my story of the big bearded men who broke my brasserie and with both triumph and shame, all that I can say to women is
I’m alive

Lara Logan, a 60 minutes news correspondent, was brutally raped in Libya when reporting on their successful revolution. Her voice marks the important break in women's silence around the globe

NewsJunkie said...
on Feb. 17 2012 at 1:30 pm
NewsJunkie, Wilmington, Delaware

"I'm high maintenance, but I'm worth it."
-Lara Logan

OMG...such a good poem. I am a huge fan of Lara Logan as she is an intrepid journalist. When I saw her interview with Scott Pelley it made me realize the enormous sacrifices that female journalists make. Great Job!You truly captured the story!