Tears and Stars

Haven’t you ever been eighteen
And wanted nothing
So much
As to just break
Free?

Haven’t you ever dreamed of a chance,
Your very own
Chance
To make dreams
Reality?

Haven’t you ever dreamed,
Dreamed of a credit card,
License,
Any your very own little red
Car?

Haven’t you ever loved your folks,
But been
Ready,
Oh so ready,
To break free and go?

To
Break free
And make
History
All on your own?

Just think back Mom,
Please remember Dad,
How it felt to taste
Freedom
For the very first time.

How the tears and the stars,
Blurred in your eyes,
As you looked back at your home,
But went on for the
Sky.

SecretSearcher said...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 10:40 am:
Great poem! I'm only 14, but I think for a lot of teens this is all we can thin about. Loved the "tears and the stars" part, awesome!

ilovewriting95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 9:29 pm:
Great job, I like it! I agree with this completely and I can totally relate except for the being 18 part, I will turn 16 at the end of this month so, I still have a good 2 years until I am 18.  Great job though and keep it up! :)

TheSecretWriter This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 11:19 pm :
Funny, I actually wrote the first version of this right near my sixteenth birthday.  I'm so glad you like it!

ilovewriting95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 5:23 pm :
hahaha... that is cool! Yeah it is great! I think the picture goes great with it too! I like that the bird is flying away and has the freedom to just go wherever it wants to whenever it wants to. It totally goes with the article! :)