Dwellers of Suburbia

We are the logo bearers.
The mowers of bright green lawns, stark
Against dull winter clouds.
We are the proud owners of shiny plastic houses
And shinier red cars.

We are the big-timers,
The one-timers
We,
The ones who melt ourselves
Into molds.
Stretch ourselves
Into someone else’s ideal.
We,
Who shrink our dreams in the dryers
So the world will have a picture of normal
To set on the mantle
In a frame
Bought for half price
At the mall complex a mile down the road.

We know not of your silly independence
Or your redundant will to be different,
And wet your lawns with rain
That is not bought in a store.

We who you strive to be,
Our bleach white sneakers
A beacon of light to you wanna-be’s.
In this world of
‘What they think’s

Rayne said...
Your creativity is awesome and truthful. It's very blunt (in a good way) and I like the way you describe "Suburbia"

WithPenAndScript said...
Aug. 9, 2011 at 10:58 am
Its so true and realistic and i love how you portrayed the "Dwellers of Suburbia" in such an easy to read, poetic fashion. As always, great work!

WithPenAndScript replied...
Aug. 9, 2011 at 10:59 am
This is my favorite of your work!

corallee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 4, 2011 at 12:19 am
As soon as I started reading this, (I hope this makes sense!), I settled a bit in my chair and smiled. This poem truly reminded me why I love poetry so much. Absolutely beautiful! 

GangstaEyes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 2, 2011 at 9:45 am

Wow. This is purely brilliant. From the first stanza, the reader is drawn in and awed. Like everyone else, Love the part about shrinking our dreams in the dryer, but I like the part before that too:
"We,/ The ones who melt ourselves/ Into molds./ Stretch ourselves/ Into someone else's idea."

That part is so relatable! Amazing job :)

ohheyyyelli said...
Aug. 1, 2011 at 10:32 am
Amazing! I love this!

redhairCat This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oh - this is so good! I love it!!!!! Very creative and brillantly written. I'm tagging it as a favorite!

Raytheraym said...
Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:25 am
...Wow... This is purely amazing...

CarolynQ said...
This is so creative, and so true.  Societal view is focused perfection, it's great how you see that the perfect view they have is imperfect in itself <3 love this love this looooove this!

Zildjian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Holy cow I love this poem. The voice of this is so ironic and piercing, as is the message. Keep it up!

NinjaGirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this! I agree that the ending was kind of abrupt, but it doesn't affect the over all awesomeness of the poem :)

Shrey96 said...
I really like this piece. It is extremely unique, and you make it connect to everyone that reads it by using everyday examples that everyone knows. I do feel that it ended a bit abruptly, though. All in all, a fantastic poem!

.Izzy.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 11:17 am
"Who shrink our dreams in the dryers" that's brilliant. 5 stars!

hanging_girl_666This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Who shrink our dreams in the dryers

Very well , creative, and flowing.

Emily.L said...
Favorite! It's just so unique that I read it, like, 3 times...

thetruthawaits94 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love the part where you say we who shrink our dreams in the dryer's sot eh world will have a picture of normal. So many people do this. They hide who they truly are so they can fit in. That's hard for us artists. :D This poem is very different in a very good way. `"" thumbs up, up, up!

RedvinesWTHCantTheyDo said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 8:15 am
I like this, you don''t usually see a lot of poetry like this, however I do feel like the end is missing something. It ended almost abruptly. 

Silent_Artist replied...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 9:40 am
love it :)

Mystisha replied...
Its nice..but false poetry is my favourite..:)