My Parents This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am irate
With my parents

They are unaware
Of how difficult they have made
Poetry
For me

They seem to have forgotten the
number one
Tool
In a poet's arsenal

They seem to have forgotten
That hundreds of poets have
Established
Their craft purely on
Their deleterious and
Stifling childhoods

It would appear that my parents
Are not in support
Of my poetry because they
Do not provide me with
Inspiration
For my writing

They are
Too loving
Too caring
Too supportive
To have much to
Write about

Unfortunately,
I am mentally sane,
Without horrifying childhood scars,
Without deep emotional conflictions,
Without hate and anger pumping through my
Circulatory system

It is a pity
That I have been raised in
An affectionate
Warm, Vibrant, and Encouraging
Community

I will never make it as a poet,
With an exceptional childhood

I have had it
Either my parents afflict me
With these conditions,
Or I will afflict myself

Until then
I must endure
The pain and suffering

And am forced
To have subjects
Such as this
For poems

RJW1997This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 1, 2012 at 11:44 am:
I love the poem, unlike stories they don't have to have a problem, they can be about anything! What I do is I take and item and write down what I know about and then take that and turn it into a poem, you should try it. It sounds stupid but it really works. Again Love the poem and never stop writing you can find inspiration any where!

LOLOUThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
new idea never read be4 ...but u know problems aren't our identity ! anyway nice verses

ConstanceContraireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:38 am:
Wonderful poem! Very funny :P

Jennalynn said...
I love the fun wit of this poem. And do understand I think it is great, deserving of being voted to the top. I only make comments as suggestions to help people improve their works of art, and my suggestion to you is dropping the first couple stanzas and start with: 'they are too loving too caring...' Once again, this is your beautiful writing, and I comment only to possibly help. 

Moee1This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Great poem,

Josika.Nav said...
Apr. 8, 2012 at 1:35 am:

lol! nice one !! keep writing and great work! XD

ImagineLotsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 2:07 pm:
You've inspired me to write a poem. Great job.

ImJustAGuy said...
Mar. 17, 2012 at 1:09 pm:
Please check out my page !  new and upcoming writer 

OneInAMillionThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 16, 2012 at 6:19 pm:
I can relate to this in so many ways. Keep writing!!!

Mairee1998 said...
Mar. 16, 2012 at 8:35 am:
This is very true! This piece is very intersting...most people feel this way... ik i do!

Kalen-Bloodstone said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 2:25 pm:

Many a poet came from a background of great dismay and misary. I don't exactly think I can say the same for you xD A poet with a harsh life has the benifit of the doubt when it comes to describing a painful encounter, or a muerderous relationship that ended in a restraining order LOL

These are some of the things you could write of . . . if you'd known them.

You did not, and yet you still have a great poem. Congratz ;)

Tonia P. said...
Mar. 13, 2012 at 7:20 pm:
Oh Em Gee! This is friggin' awesome! Keep it up...and one more thing, be content with the life that you have been blessed with.

Masey400 said...
Mar. 10, 2012 at 7:44 pm:
This is funny. I am glad you found something to write a poem about!:)

MiaUnwritenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 10, 2012 at 3:40 pm:
I can so relate to it

DualOsprey said...
Mar. 9, 2012 at 5:09 pm:
I love your poem it talked to me

AndresVThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 9, 2012 at 11:28 pm :
thank you so much

heatherbugThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 5:45 pm:
This is so true, I get this from my mom all the time. Love it. Keep writing

TTTeeSS said...
Mar. 5, 2012 at 3:24 pm:
I loved this piece! I feel the same way about my parents.

ksaurus200 said...
Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:11 am:
I find it rather funny how you complain about your parents loving you too much

Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:43 am :
Again, this poem is not literal and i find it kind of amazing that so many people have thought it to be literal