Perdoname (Spanish for I'm Sorry) | Teen Ink

Perdoname (Spanish for I'm Sorry)

By SoccerLover17 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
SoccerLover17 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

What doesnt kill you makes you stronger

I am sorry
I am sorry that I can't be a great athlete.
I am sorry that I can't be the starting quarterback for the football team.
I am sorry that I can't be the starting midfielder for the soccer team.
I am sorry that I can't be the one student athlete in society that has no life because the life he lives is shaped by the very society he lives in.
I am sorry I'm not the Big Man On Campus
I am sorry that I can actually spend a weekend to myself and not have to go wherever
my friends tell me to go because "they want me to be there."
I am sorry that I am blessed with the opportunity to play the sports I love without society hassling me about anything I do.
Athletes now-a-days are so scrutinized by everyone, whether it be media or just the public in general.
It may not even be that they love the sport, maybe it's that they just happen to be good at it and were forced to play that sport.
I am sorry, to all those athletes in today's society in which you can't live the life of one of us. Your life has been made into a soap opera that anyone and everyone can tune into.
I am sorry that today's world has made the sport you love into a game, but not game as in sport, a game of debate, about how much money has to be given to a person, just to showcase their abilities with a certain jersey on. I am sorry that I don't have to worry about that hassle of money or that hassle of people controlling what I can and cannot do everyday.
You see, I can wake up on a weekend and play the sport I love wherever I want, with out interruption and without hassles. But with Pros now-a-day's they have to play the sport wherever the team tells them to, because the team paid them millions and billions of dollars, so in a way they make them their slave, telling the athlete "you have to play here, you have to practice on this day and this day and this day, you must wear our team gear whenever and as many times as you can, and so on" You see, I can still play the sports that I love with a passion, even though I may not be as good as I want to be, but I have certain freedoms that even the best don't have.

This article came from just realizing how student athletes that are decent at their craft have so much more freedom, rather than having their world controlled by professionalism, and the life of a pro being controlled strictly by the amount of money that someone pays the athlete.